The Ultimate support platform for an LP12 is..?

I’m sure there won’t be a consensus, single answer here, but I’d be very interested to hear user experiences regarding which LP12/Trampolin2 support you’ve found to be the Bees knees for you.

I’ve owned and used Sound Organisation original Table, Mana 4 tier rack, Hutter single width and double width racks, Fraim, Target wall shelf, Tiger Paw Vulkan wall shelf.

My experience is that the wall shelves didnt work well despite being appropriately fixed to very solid walls. Maybe it’s my lapsed, but nagging engineering major background that tells me a cantilever, however well executed, is an inherently compromised solution that colours my perceptions? Very possibly.
The best I’ve heard are The Hutter’s and the Fraim (despite both being loaded with other Naim boxes below or even alongside in the case of the Hutter double.
I can’t help thinking the turntable would surely be better off alone on its own, dedicated table/rack.
Is there a better alternative?

Don’t know the answer but I’ve only ever had mine on a Target wall stand. It’s fine but I’m sure there are better solutions.

I use an original Sound Organisation wall shelf on mine, think it sounds as good as anything. I did different shelf inserts some years ago and found one that works better than the rest, but can’t remember where I got it from now.

Got sick of the needle jumping when on racks, once on a shelf, never a problem.

1 Like

A tricky question. I think the Trampolin 2 reduce the dependency on racks and supports and just makes things less critical. With the standard Linn base board and feet I preferred either the Sound Organisation table or the Phase 4 Mana. The latter was the most neutral by a long way. A mate used the very simple Audiotech floor standing table and really rated it. In fact I think he still has it. The SO table was more coloured but in a way that seemed to compliment the LP12. My LP12 now sits on top of a stack of Fraim and power supplies with a Trampolin 2 installed. To be honest I’ve not hankered after the old world and it saves my back and knees from a lot of work!

Our house was built around 1710 and there’s no way I can use a floor stand. The records jump and skip as soon as I set foot on the floor.
It has to be a wall bracket and therefore, the wall bracket is definitely the best support for my turntable in my home.

1 Like

My system is in our house extention built around 14 years ago, floated concreate floor with wood (MDF) floor on top is a carpet

NAIM fraim 5 layers with LP12 on top shelf, used both LP12 with Tramp 2 base and now Urika base - never been an issue, no jumping on albums - the music is superb and detailed
I could of gone for a wall shelf in the configeration but never felt the need as the LP12 is perfectly isolated on Fraim now - RCA connects run off to right to radikal

in an ideal world (which I don’t leave IN) would be x 2 Fraims) Radiakal sits to the right of the system and NAS sit’s under on seperate shelf

4 Likes

I just use a Target TT2 (with spikes on feet and with the top shelf spiked) with an Auralex isolation platform. Seems to work well.

I always thought a light and rigid support on a non bouncy concrete floor was the best. I used a Tripod for years.

I am now breaking the rules and had a custom QS made this year. It’s wobbly and the LP12 is much too close to my speakers. But honestly it sounds great! The springs and the Tramp 2 must be doing their thing.

7 Likes

The Sound Organisation original table works best for my LP12.

2 Likes

A good question!
All I can say is that my Audiotech table has served me well for many years on my carpeted/concrete floor. It’s only disadvantage is it’s low height but I’ve learnt to live with this.
The base of my LP12 is open. The original hardboard cover was ditched years ago on the recommendation of my then dealer. I’ve never felt inclined to fit a Tramp.
Incidentally, I’ve wondered why Linn have never offered a table or rack of their own. After all, they were involved with “metal work” with their stands for Kans for example but perhaps these were out-sourced rather than made in house?

1 Like

With the pre-tramp Sondeks, overall I would probably give the nod to either the Archidee or the Audiotech (both being closely related). However, Fraim can also work well so long as you don’t go too high and load the stack too much. Then again, I’ve heard a Sondek sound wonderful on Mana, but I’m not a fan of the aesthetics so it’s a bit of a non-starter here.

1 Like

I use a Tiger Paw Vulkan Wall Shelf for the Trampolin.

For the boxes I use the Sim Rack

4 Likes

Still using the Decent Audio as recommended a few years back by Peter @Cymbiosis.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sadly the Tiger Paw Vulkan he is no longer in production since the demise of Tiger Paw back in early 2019. Likewise it’s pretty sad news for the Decent Audio currently as the owners of the company have been unable to secure new production facilities for manufacturing again currently :worried: So currently it’s a case of looking elsewhere unless you can secure a secondhand one.
KR Peter

2 Likes

I’ve had the same as you and the Fraim is best followed by Mana. Dedicated is even better. Mana reference wallshelf is excellent under a turntable and the reference part deals with the cantilevered wall.

2 Likes

Used to have the Sound Org wallshelf (brilliantly simple and rigid) but my wife was not a fan of the industrial looks. She much prefers this - matches the Fraim too:

7 Likes

Mana phase 7/8? I think the Reference Table was regarded as 2 phases…

1 Like

Surprised that there is no mentioning of the IKEA Lack!

Steviebee’s image is a Quadraspire incorporating a bamboo shelf (I think). I have had mine for a little over a year under a new full spec LP12 and it is great. Any ‘sprung’ floor i.e. anything other than poured concrete, pretty much, demands a wall-mount, not least when the jumping around starts…

2 Likes