The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

Then you might like this, a rather good yarn of the V Bomber years. Of course all of Derek Robinson’s aviation novels are very good, the best of the type imo and recommend them to anyone with even a passing interest.

2 Likes

I know the Thunderbolt A10 aka Warthog isn’t vintage or retired yet (not without trying). But I love this slow arguably ugly aircraft. It can carry so much payload. It is resilient against the elements unlike some others that require pristine runways. It is able to absorb a lot of damage so survivability is superb. As a dedicated close air support plane, it is affectionately loved by ground troops. The 30mm gatling gun is as good visually as it sounds and feel in the cockpit. Now that’s 4D effect! A firing clip may be a great test track for the topic “House Shaking Bass”.

The GAU 8 under test, and in use

1 Like

Off piste but worth watching (you’ve probably seen it), with the late Senator McCain reflecting the view of the troops - backed up by the list of comments.

2 Likes

The American troops loved it , the British troops loved it .

Built like a tank, slow - great for ground support. If you were pinned down by Terry Taliban it’s what you wanted coming over the hill

The big question is whether it would be good against a peer nation with good SAM capability. That’s what did for the premature demise of the Harrier.

A little off topic, just saw documentary and read about Carroll Shelby, the founder of Shelby American racing car manufacturer.

Unlike modern “textbook” racing drivers, he had many adversaries through his life. He didn’t have the financial backing from his parents like some would. He had congenital heart disease and would have a pain killer under his tongue to get through some races. He lived through WWII and was a second lieutenant flying many different planes including B-29 the Superfortress.

He was a chicken farmer and all his chickens reportedly died in 2 days sending him bankrupt. It was after this he became a racing driver, winning many races, including 24 hrs Le Mans in 1959. Remarkable especially given how dangerous motor sport was at the time. With little safety measures, quite a few would die each season. He was badly injured requiring 8 months of operations and strapped his arm to the wheel to keep racing.

After racing Shelby, drawing from his reputation, persuasion and tenacity, he managed to start his racer building adventure using AC chassis and Ford engine and built the infamous AC Cobra 927, then the Shelby Daytona coupe; and then he was involved in the development of the Ford GT40 MkIV which won 24 hrs Le Mans in 67.

Amazing indeed. His marriages were not so successful. With 7 marriages in total and 3 children. He had heart transplant in 1990 and kidney transplant in 1996. Shelby passed away in 2012 aged 89.

AC Cobra 927

Shelby Daytona

Ford GT40 MkIV

5 Likes

One of my shots from the Goodwood Members Meeting, 2016

4 Likes

A georgous T Bird at Brooklands American car day a few years ago. Not my pic, but saw this one there, particularly like the drive in movie food tray hanging on the door.

4 Likes

Another one from Brooklands American car day 2017, not sure what the car was but I liked the onboard Philips record player.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Gloster Gladiator from RAF 73 Squadron I believe.

My dad has a picture of this flying with a Gloster Meteor and Gloster Javelin over Flamborough Head from his days in 73 Squadron. I must see if I can find that picture.

Richard

1 Like

Gorgeous Franco American Facel Vega in Haynes museum Red Room.

2 Likes

Passage of the Italian “1000 miles” race

6 Likes

2 Likes

May I ask where you saw that ?

Having lived in Malta , the story (or partial myth) of the Gladiators resonates strongly

This Gladiator lives and flies from Old Warden in Bedfordshire. It is part of The Shuttleworth Collection.

1 Like

Many Thanks, I would love to see it fly.

I will start following the Shuttleworth Collection for flying days

1 Like

Interesting video and topic. Indeed B-1 bomber has been used for close air support (CAS) such as in Afghanistan, especially given its laser guided missiles upgrades. Therefore, the assertion that B-1, F-15 and F-16 for CAS purpose is indeed a correct one.

However, whether B-1 / F-16 / F-15 / F-35 are effective CAS platforms calls for much debate. A-10 was designed as a tank destroyer with its 30mm depleted uranium armour piercing rounds from its gatling gun. It has the most pylons (11 compared to 4 on F-15E), able to carry the most load (16,000 lb compared with 10,000 lb of F-15E), more rounds, loiter for the longest amount of time, operate at lowest attitude and most manoeuvrable because of its large wings and the only aircraft completely operational from a dirt runway. It is also the cheapest to operate, even if one were to discount the importance of the titanium tub protecting the pilot.

F-35 with its dismal amount of internal weapon storage (5,700 lb) if it were to stay stealthy. B-1 is relatively cheap as a bomber (esp compared with B-2) is still cost 3x more expensive to run than A-10 and does not provide the scare factor like the A-10 does with its Brrrrr song. To that end, AC-130 is a much better platform for CAS.

Unless CAS is no longer needed, it is important to understand what is CAS. It is “air action by
aircraft against hostile targets that are in close proximity to friendly forces, requiring detailed integration of each air mission with the fire and movement of those forces.” Attempt to use a jack-of-all-trades platform like F-35 or expanding the role of B-1 is a compromise and a step backward with possibly lethal consequences. It is suggested, B-1 is better suited for air interdiction and nuclear operations.

It’s all about survivability , an A10 will be very good against lightly armed insurgents .

A man with a Stinger will destroy an A10 very, very easily . That’s why the Harriers went

A Stinger will find it very hard to lock on to an F35

It’s all about survivability

1 Like

Thank you @Ian2001! You actually reminded me of what I forgot! A-10 should be used where air superiority has already been achieved in the theatre. Not as lone wolf being sitting ducks to surface-to-air missiles.

As per the attached paper, the strategy is to start with destroying all anti-aircraft weapons, enemy aircrafts. Then air interdiction - air-to-ground engagement of all command, control, communication hubs and known military installations. Then finally, ground troops with CAS.