The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

Oh wowzer, I am rather tubby these days and suspect I would not fit in any of them - but that is amazing

A young lady at my workplace flew in a two seater Spitfire at Duxford last year. By her own admission, she is very broad across the beam, and went for a trial fit a few weeks beforehand. She had no problems at all, either getting in or out, and would’ve been safe enough in a ground ‘incident’.
I’ve only ever sat in a Spitfire cockpit, a single seater. At 6ft 4 and 16 stone ish at the time, I found it comfortable, and the canopy missed my bonce no problem.

1 Like

Many, many thanks

1 Like

Reflections of a Blackbird

3 Likes

One of the pair of BA 747’s that left Heathrow last Thursday morning, being the last of their 747 fleet. This one ended its flight at Kemble. We were there later that morning.

3 Likes

There is quite a collection of these “vintage” aeroplanes at Kemble.

2 Likes

It was only a couple of years ago I flew in one in the bubble.

Lovely, a world away from the noise downstairs

1965 Porsche 356 C Cab.

10 Likes

Some of them appear to be missing their engines. Do you know whether they are they be scrapped there, or just having the engines maintained before being sold on?

I drove pass Kemble last week, yes engines are in the process of being removed & the local press confirms the airframes are being dismantled at both Kemble & Cardiff

As Mike says, the planes are normally dismantled at Kemble. There is normally a wide range of aircraft in various stages of disassembly.

The other “last” BA 747 went to St Athan, near Cardiff.

The end of 50 years of the BA 747 fleet.

I think they are being scrapped, which is what usually happens at Kemble.

Very, very occasionally I have heard of one being put back into service, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I suspect the worlds remaining 747 fleets are looking forward to years of lower cost maintenance with recycled parts supplies. Lots of 747’s in the cargo fleets & I see Lufthansa & KLM are still flying them.

2 Likes

Gloster Javelin crew.

7 Likes

Janis Joplin’s Porsche

5 Likes

But she wanted a Mercedes Benz!

6 Likes

One corner of Kemble

Some way to go to match this :open_mouth:!

1 Like

There are apparently quite a few replicas of that car floating around. I believe the original was in poor repair and was also re-painted for the sale.

F4U Corsair. Sorry to all Supermarine Spitfire lovers.

2 Likes