The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

6 Likes

Gloster Gladiator from RAF 73 Squadron I believe.

My dad has a picture of this flying with a Gloster Meteor and Gloster Javelin over Flamborough Head from his days in 73 Squadron. I must see if I can find that picture.

Richard

1 Like

Gorgeous Franco American Facel Vega in Haynes museum Red Room.

2 Likes

Passage of the Italian “1000 miles” race

6 Likes

2 Likes

May I ask where you saw that ?

Having lived in Malta , the story (or partial myth) of the Gladiators resonates strongly

This Gladiator lives and flies from Old Warden in Bedfordshire. It is part of The Shuttleworth Collection.

1 Like

Many Thanks, I would love to see it fly.

I will start following the Shuttleworth Collection for flying days

1 Like

Interesting video and topic. Indeed B-1 bomber has been used for close air support (CAS) such as in Afghanistan, especially given its laser guided missiles upgrades. Therefore, the assertion that B-1, F-15 and F-16 for CAS purpose is indeed a correct one.

However, whether B-1 / F-16 / F-15 / F-35 are effective CAS platforms calls for much debate. A-10 was designed as a tank destroyer with its 30mm depleted uranium armour piercing rounds from its gatling gun. It has the most pylons (11 compared to 4 on F-15E), able to carry the most load (16,000 lb compared with 10,000 lb of F-15E), more rounds, loiter for the longest amount of time, operate at lowest attitude and most manoeuvrable because of its large wings and the only aircraft completely operational from a dirt runway. It is also the cheapest to operate, even if one were to discount the importance of the titanium tub protecting the pilot.

F-35 with its dismal amount of internal weapon storage (5,700 lb) if it were to stay stealthy. B-1 is relatively cheap as a bomber (esp compared with B-2) is still cost 3x more expensive to run than A-10 and does not provide the scare factor like the A-10 does with its Brrrrr song. To that end, AC-130 is a much better platform for CAS.

Unless CAS is no longer needed, it is important to understand what is CAS. It is “air action by
aircraft against hostile targets that are in close proximity to friendly forces, requiring detailed integration of each air mission with the fire and movement of those forces.” Attempt to use a jack-of-all-trades platform like F-35 or expanding the role of B-1 is a compromise and a step backward with possibly lethal consequences. It is suggested, B-1 is better suited for air interdiction and nuclear operations.

It’s all about survivability , an A10 will be very good against lightly armed insurgents .

A man with a Stinger will destroy an A10 very, very easily . That’s why the Harriers went

A Stinger will find it very hard to lock on to an F35

It’s all about survivability

1 Like

Thank you @Ian2001! You actually reminded me of what I forgot! A-10 should be used where air superiority has already been achieved in the theatre. Not as lone wolf being sitting ducks to surface-to-air missiles.

As per the attached paper, the strategy is to start with destroying all anti-aircraft weapons, enemy aircrafts. Then air interdiction - air-to-ground engagement of all command, control, communication hubs and known military installations. Then finally, ground troops with CAS.

That’s all very well against traditional enemies. Wasn’t the strategy in Afghanistan, for example.

1 Like

There have been seven A10 combat losses and accidents. It would appear that one, or maybe two, were due to hand held AA missiles, one Igla definite. Considering the hours they have flown, that seems a good return.

2 Likes

Yes, and the hours on the air frame, in many ways their success has followed on from the success of the Skyraider in Vietnam .

1 Like

From the last Farnborough Air Show

3 Likes

Detail of the Wellington geodetic structure, Brooklands

3 Likes

Is this the Vickers Wellington?

Another beautiful aircraft from The Shuttleworth Collection. De Haviland Comet. I never get tired of taking photographs of this aircraft, it has a real character.

13 Likes

Yes

1 Like

French Sepecat Jaguar. Damaged by a SAM 7 missile on the first day of Desert Storm attacking the Al Jaber airbase in Kuwait. Daylight raid at ultra low level.

2 Likes