The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

Grew up on a V Bomber base, it seemed every B****y Sunday at lunchtime the RAF would sound the siren and all the base would head out of married quarters and into position for WW3

1 Like

My Dad had one - beautifully made car, and the only A Class engine I’ve ever encountered that didn’t leak oil!

1 Like

The Vulcan must have been deafening at the height, Mike

2 Likes

In my early career I was GM of a Motor musuem conference centre - we had a lunch one Day with Walter Hayes CBE Roy Savaldor Innes Ireland

they car they brought with them was the Now most expenstive Aston Martin 2VEV DB4 GT Zagarto sold recently for 40 Milion

Recent visit of Tornado A4 class to SVR, very special visit -

7 Likes

It was on cruise & although a bit noisier than the average, it was nothing like the noise it made when doing the crowd pleaser stuff at airshows.

2 Likes

When I was a youngster kicking a football about at a local park in Portsmouth I remember hearing this roar - probably the most thunderous I’d ever experienced in my life at that point - and then a Vulcan came into view, flying low. I was transfixed, initially by the roar and then by the magnificence of the huge V-shaped aircraft. One of life’s true jaw-dropping moments.

4 Likes

The Blue Bell line has already featured in this thread a couple of times. I always enjoy my visits there.

4 Likes

Not my picture - but the sound of (IIRC) a Royal Netherlands Air Force F-16 tracking the Shoreham runway at low level many years back and then flying up and over the Chapel at Lancing College, left me in fear for the building. Talk about snap, crackle and pop!

3 Likes

Wow! A very tempting thread.
I’m going to have to sit here and cross my legs…

1 Like

Right. I give in.

Adrian Newey driving one of my favourite cars ever.

11 Likes

Adrian Newey no longer driving said motor…

7 Likes

A peaceful Spitfire

11 Likes

Not great photos - taken with a Zeiss Ikon fixed lens bellows camera using 120 rollfilm in early 1970s the event is memorable: before these days of terrorism, though even then a definite transgression, I wriggled under a perimeter gate in line with the end of the runway, walked up to the radar scanner about 100 yards in, and took these photos of Concorde taking off directly above me.

image image

12 Likes

One of my favourites, taken at the now cancelled Farnborough Airshow

10 Likes

The Blenheim taken at RAF Fairford

11 Likes

F 117 Night Walk. From 1977. Looks very futuristic.

Where 60 years has brought us.

9 Likes

Cracking photo. Many thanks

Feel this is appropriate today, given the date.

10 Likes

Very much so

4 Likes