The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

Agreed. Brute force over ignorance. When you did the pre-flight walk-round, checking oils etc, the basic rule was “if it isn’t leaking, it’s empty”. 56 Sqn shown there, can’t see the registration so don’t know whether I flew it as my only time on 56 was in the Falklands, post war, and only a few airframes were there at any time.

2 Likes

When was that? I was on 111 Sqn 1982-85…

'85-'88

1 Like

Does the silly old relic otherwise known as the B-2 count as vintage when seen next the the new kid, the B-21?

3 Likes

Will the CIA now put out a hit-notice on you for posting that? :wink:

1 Like

Nah, official launch was yesterday. Pulled a big blanket off the first one which will fly next year and invited the press.

There will be 100 of them, with no need to ‘deploy’ around the world apparently.

Interesting that by the end of the decade the B1 and the B2 will be retired yet the B52 (with an engine upgrade) will still be flying.

They’ll just add it to the list :slight_smile:

The new B-21 is smaller, carries less, and costs a lot more. So probably far more effective.

3 Likes

To misquote Douglas Adams ‘’ it will hang in the air the way a brick doesn’t ‘’

1 Like

Cleethorpes Light Railway. Santa Special day out with granddaughters.

steve

5 Likes

Tiff Needell driving the Chevron B26 in the Thundersports support race, British Grand Prix, Brands Hatch, 1986. I think my panning skills were better with 35mm than digital!

8 Likes

Well, I stumbled on this beauty this morning on Twitter. I had no idea there was one!

Nearly 90 years old, and still in use.

7 Likes

Looks like an old airship hangar.

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t think places like that still existed , looks almost steam punk

Here you go

3 Likes

There are still two similar ex-airship hangars at Cardington, Bedfordshire.

3 Likes

I understand they, or maybe one, is now being used for film & TV work.

2 Likes

For the last few decades.

At least one is now listed.

When I was in the RAF, compressed gas cylinders, oxygen equipment, and associated bits and bobs were tested there too.

Shorts ran it, and built the nearby town of… Shortstown!

1 Like

Different construction though equally impressive in size…

The Cardington airship hangars

8 Likes

Onze

14 Likes