The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

Traction Avant, stunningly beautiful cars

1 Like

Inspiration for the pretty fine album by the prog band Lifesigns:

folder

4 Likes

https://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/people/star-wars-day-we-take-a-look-at-bedfords-link-to-the-mighty-film-franchise-with-three-of-the-movies-filmed-at-cardington-hangers-3223081

C’est magnifique

1 Like

On a theme.

Une Deuche. Avec chat.

7 Likes

Repairing the fabric covering of the Graf Zeppelin during a flight over the Atlantic in 1934.

12 Likes

One can’t help but wonder if it would be a little easier to have designed it so the crew could patch it from the inside?

2 Likes

From within a big bag full of (lightly) pressurised hydrogen?? Which would need a man-sized entry hatch…

1 Like

I feel sick just looking at that picture

1 Like

The Zeppelins, all dirigible’s, have an outer covering with the hydrogen gas in numbers of separate gas cells inside. Inside the outer envelope are crew maintenance access walkways.

What Mike-B sed!

It’s all compartmentalised, just leave a bigger gap between the bags and the frame, around which the skin is wrapped!

Looking at that red car, some urban impact parking may have featured in that scene!

It’s common in Paris, not sure about the rest of France.

If so, I suspect the Citroen would have come off worst!

1 Like

Ever wondered what something is and how it got there?

6 Likes

Oooh I feel all Monty Python.

‘Albatross, Albatross…’

And a Crusader.

2 Likes

Are those the names of the planes?
(Forgive my ignorance!)

These are in a ski station above Nice, where I went for a hike today. They categorically had not landed there (unless as a crash) as not enough flat land for a landing strip.
The smaller, more intact, plane was/is Russian (or at least labelled in Cyrillic).

Google has not helped me identify why, or how, they are there.

Russian

Not Russian

1 Like

Yep, the less dramatic looking one, the Albatross, was a Czech trainer used in many parts of the world.

The other is a Chance Vought F8 Crusader, a fighter/strike aircraft made for US carrier operations but also used by the French navy.

2 Likes

The Corsair was (possibly) unique in that the whole wing pitched up for takeoff & landing in order to reduce the airframe angle of attack. The test flights must have been very interesting…