The Wall - blasphemy?

Got the wall when it came out in 1979, i h ad just passed my driving test and this was playing all the time in the car.
Then 4 August 1980 went down to Earls Court to watch it live and ten years later when to Berlin to see Roger do it with one hell of a line up of musicians.
So some good memory’s for me of the wall.

1 Like

Gosh, a long PF thread and no mention of Syd. How times change! IMHO, they never again ascended to the heights of the best bits of of PATGOD.

1 Like

Definitely prefer PATGOD to The Wall🙂

1 Like

I preferred SOS to PATGOD, possibly because SOS was my intro to the band, but for me the others I mentioned in an earlier post - including The Wall are better to my ears.

In all honesty, my favourite early PF album ( as in pre DSOTM ) is definitely Meddle.
My least favourite PF album over all is The Final Cut, but The Wall runs it a very very close 2nd.

1 Like

My least favourite, by far, is The endless river.

3 Likes

I really struggle to consider this an album in its own right.
It’s like a bonus disk included with a special edition box set of Division Bell, as it’s just the unused material from the Division Bell recording sessions.

Meddle is a great album pretty close to my fav. You should consider giving The Final Cut another listen there’s some great tracks on it, The Fletcher Memorial Home is worth the price of the album alone.

2 Likes

Don’t think anyone could argue about the Endless River its just endless dribble. Don’t see how anyone thought that it was a good idea to release it in that format. Just boring.

6 Likes

Totally agree regarding The Final Cut. Superb if you manage to obtain an original pressing. A ‘remaster’ I purchased a couple of years ago just wasn’t the same album (flat and lifeless).

Admittedly, I’ve only ever listened to it streamed…

I’ve really enjoyed The Wall ever since my workmates bought me my current copy for my 21st birthday in 1980. I think that the grooves are starting to fray, I’ve played it so much.
One of my all-time favourite albums.

I played my record of this when the NDX2 was away, and thought it was great - it also has a superb dynamic range.

2 Likes

I’ve had it on vinyl (a lifetime ago) and I’ve now got a cd I’ve probably had since the late 90s. Think it’s now available as a hi res remastered file from HD Tracks as well. It’s not their best but it’s still better than any of their 90s output.

I don’t stream myself, but I can confirm that the humble CD version is superior to the remastered vinyl copy I have…by a country mile.
However, despite all the clicks and pops (again, it’s been very well played over the years), my original vinyl copy remains my preference.

We all seem to have access to so much music it’s hard to remember to play something, there’s so much choice. I hadn’t played the Wall for probably 2 or 3 years (start to finish) and it’s probably the same for the Final Cut.

Good reason not to go down the streaming path

Just too much music out there I’d spend all my time just getting confused , which I might add wouldn’t be difficult

1 Like

My 1200 or so albums is enough for me, and I have no desire to gain more, so I my collection now grows only very slowly when I come across something that stands out. (I only stream online, and only from free services, to check out things that have been recommended to me.)

1 Like

There is one thing you definitely overlook, streaming is a great way to weed out stuff you don’t really want. Also there’s been a few albums I would have bought but after hearing first decided not to, it’s actually saved me money. Anything from my favs I usually still end up buying.

1 Like

I think I have a plan for future you might be impressed

1 Like