The wonders of starting a Hifi journey

Everyone’s talking like it’s a bad idea to crank the volume up at a party!?! :wink: RIP all the fallen amps, they gave their best for a good cause :smiley:

2 Likes

A very large room, the TDLs, being TLs, were quite demanding and the amp not very powerful, I kept hearing the distortion get worse and worse as whoever DJ’ed at any time kept nudging it, but I was proccupied with more interesting, um, things, until the music died - so you can see it was a great party and worth it.

2 Likes

As a nice bookend to this thread, a quick photo of the current setup. After a wonderful 3hr listening session I’ve declared the PMC’s run in yesterday. Such an addictive experience with the Star. Mind you, the cat got hold of the grilles when I left them unattended on the floor for a few minutes. After both the dealer and PMC remained incommunicado to my e-mails (how to replace), I went for this rather serene milk carton look with some ordered speaker fabric and a tacker. I rather like them with the grilles off too, but that’s very subjective, opinions are divided on their bare looks. I didn’t like the original grilles much anyway (pitch black)

2 Likes

Of all the wiggling, tinkering and fiddling I’ve done with my HiFi gear, I’ve never thought of modifying the grilles! They look very good and suit the room better than the ubiquitous black drapes. There may be a market for ready made frames for custom fronts. You have started me thinking now.

1 Like

From the age of about 18 I started noticing ‘proper’ hifi. It began with an ancient Teleton amp, then a NAD 3020B, then bought my first new amp, a Creek 4140s2. I loved it but when I was looking at buying some new speakers, shortly after I moved to Berlin, I dragged it around a few hifi shops to audition speakers. I got what I wanted (Mission 780s, which I still have connected to my computer) BUT, one shop happened to have a Nait 3 set up in their listening room. I asked if I could listen to that just out of curiosity, as it had just been released and was getting good reviews. The salesman said yes of course, but be prepared to not want your Creek anymore! He was right - within a year or so I went Naim and and never used anything else since!

1 Like

To be honest, I was surprised myself how tight I could tie this stretchy fabric to the frame of the grille myself. They even look half decent from the side view.

… and as they look more ‘present’ in white too, they take away your initial gaze from the ugliest (but effective) DIY bass trap of Amsterdam and beyond lurking in the corner.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.