Thick / stiff mains cables routing problems

Sure, but posting this stuff on a public forum may encourage others to do likewise without understanding the risks.

I fully concur, and have adjusted my posts. :slight_smile:

And as a consequence placed their homes under greater rusk of fire. Having seen the arcing and fountain of sparks from flex cable that had flexed once too often I would not want to risk that in my home. That was in my youth, in a house with unfused 15A plugs as was the norm until about the 1960s, and existed until houses were rewired. in the incident I witnessed the consumer unit (fusebox) fuse was 15A, and that blew after a few moments shutting off the arcing. Had the fuse been tge 30A or higher common on ring main circuits the arcing and fountain of sparks may have continued.

As well as the fire risk, there may be a risk that an insurance company discovering an unfused outlet wired to too high a consumer unit circuit breaker might find that an excuse not to pay upā€¦

1 Like

I might have mentioned this before butā€¦ AFAIK the UK is about the only - or one of very few - countries in the world with fused plugs. The rest of the globe seems to do fine without them without too much fires. :upside_down_face:

ADD: This might be related to the ring circuits that are also unique to the UK if Iā€™m not mistaken.

But of course itā€™s very important to use suitably rated MCBs.

I believe in safety always as a priority for the home and family. No compromises thereā€¦ Nothingā€™s worth a fire or hazard. Itā€™s a fine line, that calculated risk.

Mine was a 32A spur using ordinary 6mm square electrical cable. What did I know then, as a 20+ year old? I just read, and followedā€¦ You should have seen the incredulous look on the electricianā€™s face when I specified the dedicated spur line to the denā€¦ he shook his head but since he was getting paidā€¦

Fast forward two decades onā€¦ Iā€™m still learning now that Iā€™m back from the wilderness.

The issue is simply that an MCB with the correct rating for a circuit with multiple sockets is usually rated too high to protect the individual power cable on each appliance. The fuse in the plug provides this protection.

1 Like

I have nothing against Naim Powerlines, and if I owned Naim equipment that is what I would be using - or a Grahams Hydra.

However the Powerline is not available, so far as I am aware, with a 16A IEC, which is required for the Chord block. Although I suppose one could be made up to special order with a 16A IEC one would then lose the benefit of the floating pins in the Powerline IEC - which is an integral part of the design to obtain correct performance. Also the Powerline is unshielded so takes a different approach to all Chord mains cables where great attention is paid to shielding.

ā€¦ and interestingly, we have the hydras meanwhile.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.