Things Europe is “Right” about

After 63 years just spent nearly a month in Europe (Greece and the Netherlands). Things I observed that Europe is just better.

(1) walking instead of driving—but that’s could be due to the layout of cities. There were dozens of quality restaurants in Easy walking distance.

(2) bicycles—too far to walk ride a bike.

(3) public transportation

(4) lack of fast food places every 100 yards

(5) design of water bottles, big mouth then modified hour glass shaped. I’ll never be satisfied with water bottles in the USA again. It was great.

(6) electoral car charging station availability. In the USA it’s a joke. We won’t be ready in 20 years.

(7) crime (see Memphis, St. Louis, Detroit, etc.). That’s enough serious stuff

(8) Amsterdam

Things I question:

(1) Ice, sorry Europe you are just wrong.

(2) Euro’s, the bills are fine but the coins?

7 Likes

What have you visited in Amsterdam?

Spent 4 days there and did all the touristy stuff of course. Then closed down a bar and became buddies with all the help. Gave life advise, tipped too much, got a kiss from our waiter, all that American stuff. It was the funniest night. Did the hedonistic stuff one night. Loved the people, architecture, canals, food, etc., I could live there—I don’t say that often.

3 Likes

Things I would like us to learn from America:

1. Cinnamon is not to be added to food as if it’s radioactive. Ditto chilli.

2. Cherry and Grape are perfectly delicious flavourings for sweets. There is life beyond strawberry and blackcurrant!

3. Running a cheaper hotel is absolutely no excuse for only providing instant coffee

4. A dry martini is something even small-town establishments should have heard of and know how to make

5. Looking after one’s teeth is neither a bizarre affectation nor sinful vanity

Mark

2 Likes
  1. Decent burgers. Even though I’m now vegetarian I recall some memorable fresh cooked burgers in Dallas.
1 Like

You’re correct on many of these, but ‘ice’ certainly not. Why, oh why, does every hotel/motel (and maybe many public buildings?) need ice machines in abundance? What do you actually do with all that ice? Especially in winter?

That’s the one we are most correct about. I can’t tell you how many times we requested ice to receive a bowl with 4 to 6 pieces. We finally just gave up.

3 Likes

Add gin and tonic water.

Willy.

6 Likes

But what do you do with it? Do you really need it? Must be to numb the taste buds to mask the taste of whatever you’re drinking! We drink warm beer with flavour in the UK. No ice!

2 Likes

My drink of choice is Crown Royal Whiskey with water and ice. It’s impossible to drink without ice. We just drink everything cold except coffee of course. It’s just a cultural thing, when you drink everything with ice your entire life it’s really hard to do without.

1 Like

Ice packs greatly help with serious injuries :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand completely! I am Scottish, scotch whisky (malt) should never be drunk with ice as the true character is completely masked. Many Scots take a little water with their whisky.

8 Likes

I’m with the Americans on the matter of solid water. Bill Bryson describes the English as ‘dispensing ice as if it were on prescription’.

Obviously, you don’t want it in everything, but if you want a drink cold, you might as well do it properly. A glass of properly iced water on a warm or hot day is wonderful. A glass of water at room temperature with two piddlingly tiny bits of ice in is not.

[I might add that a reversed situation exists on the matter of hot water for making tea. IME, Americans are only just beginning to realise that trying to make tea with water that might once have been hot is an insult to Camellia Sinensis]

Mark

2 Likes

Drinking cold liquid numbs the taste buds.
If you prefer cool drinks, it’s because you prefer not to taste whatever you are drinking. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

On what do you base singling out those two spices?

The fact that the British seem to deploy them in cooking as if they’re terrifying and dangerous substances, whereas Americans seem happy to use them with a rather more relaxed air. A number of dishes are therefore tastier and more interesting to eat as a result.

Mark

I can therefore only presume you enjoy white wine after it’s had a good boiling in a kettle!

1 Like

Being pedantic, most people at home drink their white wine far too chilly, having grabbed it from fridges set at just 3 or 4 degrees.

8 Likes

You might change your mind after the summer you just had. :grin:

1 Like

Sorry guys I’m sure a warm beer suits you but it certainly doesn’t suit everywhere. I love a nice cold beer (no ice).