Things Europe is “Right” about

True, but a lot of those craft beers are being made in more of a European style. Anything that ends in “IPA” doesn’t feel very American styled to me!

Ok understood! The reason for my querying is because there is a lot of misinformation about irradiated food, which is done more in US than UK.

Another plus for Europe; topless beaches and the predominance of thong bikinis.

1 Like

Depends on who is wearing (or not wearing) the item in question!

2 Likes

Plugs. European Schuko better than UK and USA.

1 Like

I also think European cars, and everything to do with driving, is superior in Europe. It’s hard to come back to driving in the U.S. after driving on European roads in a BMW!

1 Like

I’ve seen some in the UK!

Normally the generous use of ice however seems to be to simply give you less of a non-alcoholic beverage than you might get otherwise.

1 Like

Be careful what you wish for.

Screenshot 2022-09-15 at 18.46.03

5 Likes

“You say my waife is dedt”
“Verry naicce. Sexy high fives…”

1 Like

Nah, how do you know where to look? Or not look?

And thongs must be so uncomfortable, not to say unhygienic…

You’re right in that American IPA started as a an attempt to copy UK brews. But IPAs are now hugely innovative and varied, which is the American way.

No beer snob should go thirsty in the US these days. :beers: :beer: :beers: :beer:

1 Like

Yes, there a lot of “craft” breweries, and even some of the big companies are making specialized “craft”-ish products. About 75% of the market is still ice-cold Anheuser-Busch, Molson-Coors, Miller, Heineken, etc., but there are many more options now.

1 Like

I have some great beers in the US, I always avoid the big breweries no matter where I am. Places like Fathers Office in LA have a good selection. There’s a place in Seattle can’t think of it’s name, it’s downstairs in town. They have over a hundred beers think you get your name on the bar if you can drink them all.

I think we’ve strayed into the ‘what beer…’ thread. We’ve also crossed into the ‘things that make you feel old’ thread - starting out with one argument and losing your way mid-thread and ending up off piste is definitely one of my indicators of age!

1 Like

Everything leads to beer :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Brewpubs seem to be on the rise. A large establishment that brews its own beers.
These can be interesting to keep up with, as they will obviously brew styles that are popular sellers with the locals.

The first ‘craft’ beer place I remember seeing in the States was in Denver over 12 years ago, maybe longer - I was so surprised I just had to drag my companions in to have a couple.
Relief after those endless Buds and Coors Lites.

Always liked Miller Hi Life though. Perhaps nostalgia…

It might depend on definition but I had a Sam Adams back in the mid-90s at the Colonial Inn in Concord MA and at the time I think it was a family brewery (Koch perhaps?) and had not gone mainstream. About the same time a friend of my sister’s was trying to establish a micro brewery down at Stonington which i think is CT. Not too far from Mystic Seaport.

Resurrecting the earlier arguments this pint of Sam was served from a US 16oz straight sided glass that had itself come from the freezer and the Sam was ice cold. Dark amber, great flavour, perfection on a hot evening, but an American take on a German style beer. I think Sam has changed over the years since.

In defence of Bud, my first ever one of those was on a hot dry evening in Moses Lake which from memory was eastern WA. It was crisp, cold, decently flavoured and US made, and different to what we get in the U.K. under that label. I remember it to this day. I also remember several MGDs and other mainstream US beers that defied preconceptions. If you think what Europe does well, there’s too many Germans in the US for the beer not to be good! I’m also coming out as pro ice.

I have to say much as I love German Weissbier and Lowenbrau and British real ales I have a huge love of really cold Budweiser. I spent 4 months living in the States learning to fly in Arizona back in 2003-4. We trainee pilots would come back from a day flying small aeroplanes over the Arizona desert to our apartments and rendezvous just before sunset poolside clutching a few ice cold Buds from the fridge. God it tasted like heaven sipping that beautiful crisp clean beer while gazing up at the incredible colours of those beautiful arizona skies slowly turning purple, yellow, orange and red.

I’m not sure any beer ever tasted better than that - happy days… Ever since Budweiser has been a real favourite served really cold from the fridge in Summer in the UK.

On the subject of cars I’m not sure Europe can claim superiority there nowadays either. A friend has just ordered one of these and it’s one hell of a machine and untouchable for the money:

Jonathan

1 Like

Yes, often the case, and red wines far too warm. Wine enthusiasts rule of thumb is:
Take white wine out of the fridge 30 mimutes before you drink it; and put red wines in the fridge 30 minutes before you drink it. (After carafing).
It’s often the case where people rave about a wine they had, because they accidentally had it at the right temp, with the right food, and it was accidentally aged (forgotten in a closet). Makes such a difference.

1 Like