Things I've done in the last 24 hours

It’s also entirely possible that the French have a more effective police service.

God that surprises me that we’re that far down that list.

1 Like

Back on campus this evening - some things never change…

1 Like

Ah, young people of today. I’ll bet some even stand on the rock, and have their photographs taken……………….

2 Likes

You’d think!

1 Like

My better half is resisting the concept of online banking but it IS causing her lots of grief. Heck she even checks off every transaction on the printed statement when it comes through the letter box! I know… that’s a good thing but…

For various reasons she’s recently had cause to do account and banking things which has entailed hours of queueing in banks to get to talk to the single teller working behind the counter. In the Beverley branch we queued for 45mins! The excuse was the bank is going Digital… i.e. closing all the branches. And, yes, there are the obligatory signs up saying don’t be abusive to the staff (singular).

1 Like

Try harder Pete. :beers:

1 Like

Obviously based on me it’d be much higher. :grin:

1 Like

Love on-line banking, love it to bits.

I have an Amex card, that now substitutes for a debit card - and every few days , I sweep the money spent on Amex into a small savings account . Then at the end of the month , they tell send me an on-line statement , I transfer the money back from the savings account and I pay the credit card by DDM

The security is pretty tight with a card reader and a unique 8 digit code every time I sign in.

For every pound I spend I get one Avios point , I have just under quarter of a million - now and that should fly me to most places in the world and in a non-sheep class part of the plane.

About ten years ago, I flew back First Class from J’Berg to London , all on Avios .

Mrs Mike took years to go to on-line banking. She’s a slow adopter of new technology. Today she was complaining that the parking meter wasn’t accepting her card and I said “why aren’t you using the app on your phone - remember I added your car and some money so that you could just use the app from the car”. She gave me a :flushed:, and said “what are you talking about?”.

1 Like

250k on Amex. That must be a heck of a stereo system!

2 Likes

I really feel for the elderly and those who are suspicious (perhaps rightly(?), only time will tell) of using OLB and apps, the latter even more challenging due to the level of smartphone apartheid which is increasingly apparent nowadays.

3 Likes

Ah, Amex charge the retailer more and pay later than other CC firms, so as I got great service from Audio T @ Reading - and as a kindness /thank you I used a different card.

I probably haven’t had a flight on Avios for a while - and they’v accumulated nicely . I also used to collect them from Tesco but that stopped.

I don’t have a Smart Phone , so I know what you mean.

1 Like

A cousin is over from Oz at the moment and he’s very Smartphone literate and scanned his way through LHR without issue – but he made the comment that if you only had paper chits, you could end up at the back of a long queue.

1 Like

I have a last generation iPod , it’s like a Smart Phone but without the phone bit , all the apps of an iPad, it may come in handy for Heathrow.

Frightening (and shaming) to see the queues at Heathrow for passengers coming off certain planes

Got up at ten to three to drive my son to the airport, picking up one of his mates en route. They’re off to Tankfest at Bovington Tank Museum. Their original plan was to take the train down there from Gatwick…however ended up renting a car for the weekend. Fortunately they’re both 26 now so makes that process a little less painful.

Meanwhile, despite being back in bed by 4:30 for another 4 hours sleep, I feel like I haven’t slept for a week. Time for a nap before dinner I think.

Willy.

3 Likes

Went to Bovington tank museum years ago a very enjoyable and interesting day out.

1 Like

Dream on……

Just done online tax return… within a quid of last year.
Only a 10% drop in pay last year then (inflation) :slight_smile: