Things that make you feel old

Took the rather nice wooden airer I got in Dunelm Mill back for an exchange yesterday as one of the wooden parts had spontaneously snapped out of the blue.

While in that retail park I decided to nip to a charity shop.

Maybe 200-300 vinyl LPs there - looked through and apart from a solitary Mica Paris album there was nothing apart from 60s/70s easy listening stuff including ones I’d forgotten about (Adams Singers?) and classical/popular classical compilations. Oh, and a solitary nice country compilation which unfortunately had a bad scratch crossing my favourite tracks.

I maybe pulled 20 classical LPs out to ‘filter’, mostly things I was unfamiliar with and would be gambling on. Whittled that down to 8 or so which were visibly relatively unscathed.

I then realised no prices listed for CDs or LPs.

Wandered over to the till once it was free.

‘Excuse me, how much are the records/LPs over there?’ I asked.

‘A record? What’s that? What’s an LP?’, replied the young sales assitant politely. ‘Ah, do you mean the media counter? All 5 for £1, unless they have a price sticker on them which says differently.’

The DVDs were all on a few shelves with a ‘Media’ banner overhead saying ‘5 for £1’ - I probably have more DVDs than they had on display, but now utterly worthless. :frowning: That said, if you are happy to watch DVD, wanted to ditch streaming, there were a heck of a lot of movies you could ‘buy’ for 20p each. Far fewer BluRays on offer though Avatar for £2 seemed a bargain if I didn’t already have it.

In the end I bought nothing as a group of slightly burly mixed generations arrived circling the CD/LP section, unsettling me a little. Looks were deceiving, and one of the younger lads said ‘Hey dad, look, there’s a Norman Wisdom boxset here for £1’. The father and I then struck up a conversation about old movies, he’d have bought the set but one of the items was missing, apparently the best movie of the lot.

Strange times.

3 Likes

Walking up to the till at B&Q with a length of dowel.

The teenager at the till asking if I’d like a hand carrying it to my car. :scream_cat:

18 Likes

A little over a year ago I purchased an Elvis Presley “greatest hits” type vinyl album from a local Sainsbury’s superstore. Unfortunately it was badly scratched so I returned to the store for a replacement.
Explaining the issue to a lovely and helpful young lady (early 20s I would guess) behind the Customer Services counter, our conversation touched onto music (which she apparently liked a lot) and, referring to the album being returned, I said something along the lines of “You can’t enjoy The King with scratches through his best songs can you”?
Her response: “Who? What King”?
Me: “Elvis”. Met with a quizzical look from the young lady.
“Elvis Presley? The King of Rock and Roll?” just did a fly-past as far as she was concerned. The quizzical look deepened.

I suddenly felt very, very old. :sleepy:

3 Likes

Things that make me feel old….

Looking in the mirror
Counting up how many cars I’ve owned
Trying to describe dial-up to my kids
Remembering everything like it was yesterday when it was 30-40 years ago or more
An E-type Jag being 60 years old
Discovering a box of compact cassettes
Feeling nostalgic for my Ford Cortina
Trying to get into (or out of) any car lower than a Jeep
No Concorde, no Harriers at an air show
Trying to explain a road atlas

….I feel I should stop!

19 Likes

…buying a Cure album from a Goth in HMV and getting zero reaction or recognition

5 Likes

Probably when my niece asked me what was the thing at the back of the TV. I took a look - it was the the TV. Kids these days have no appreciation that a TV can be deeper than it is wider.

Mind you, our dear old Mum prevented us from having computers in the house in the early '80s because you could catch a virus. It puts Covid into some perspective.

6 Likes

:rofl:

Funnily enough I’ve had the opposite in our HMV with the young staff not only recognising decades old acts but being impressed I know anything about vinyl at all!

Then of course you also realise you’ve spent £100+ on 4 LPs when they’re probably on near minimum wage and I bet they really think ‘pretentious old git/boomer/gammon’.

4 Likes

Early on in covid my wife’s social group was a bit unsure about the proposal for a weekly zoom call because “you can catch viruses through computers, can’t you?”

7 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

:+1:

I think I know where my student days Denon cassette deck is, still can’t locate the Naim CD 3.5 or the bloody key for the locked filing cabinet it might be in along with a load of VCRs!

A woman at a university poetry reading greeted me by name and said she had just retired and had started the MA in Creative Writing. She had been taught by me 32 years ago on the Literature BA.

5 Likes

(Apologies for the capitals)

2 Likes

I took my daughter into HMV on that occasion and she loved it but what was the everyday for us ‘back in the day’ has the air of a theme park I fear. That said, and to your point, my daughter listens to a broad church of music - classical, Sammy Davi’s Jr, lots of 80s stuff, asks me for recommendations (hooray!) but can’t believe I like Dua Lipa!

1 Like

Asking about Guys when talking to colleagues I haven’t seen for a while… And being told they’ve retired :disappointed:

4 Likes

…or sadly no longer with us!

4 Likes

That’s better than the replies I get at my monthly “Grumpy Old Men” reunions, which run along the line of “Went to their funeral two weeks ago.”

5 Likes

Yes! And having their mobile number in your phone…

2 Likes

This!

A few years ago she loved all the stuff I played, no more alas. Thankfully she has her own tastes now.

She was amazed I bought Dua Lipa on vinyl.

Since she’s had a smartphone she enjoys playing her playlists in the car, (I simply recall family travels with radio 1/2 playing).

I was impressed with some Marina and the Waves pop on one of her playlists, so when Marina brought out her last album I loved it and mentioned it. Now it was uncool and boring as dad liked it :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

My wife retiring at the end of the month.

5 Likes

Talking about software with young colleagues at work and mentioning that you started programming with Coral 66 and Fortran (punched card era). Programming days now long, lone gone…

4 Likes