Things that make you feel old

When it first came out, didn’t Blade Runner have a Mickey Spillane style voiceover narrative? That’s my recollection of seeing it at the cinema yet when I say that, people stare like I’m nuts.

2 Likes

It did - that’s why the Director’s Cut is so much better because it dropped the voiceover

1 Like

Best thing is join the U3A. Go every day. get home at 5 oclock. It is like coming home from the office.
As if you are still working

Harrison Ford tried to deliver the worst (only) VO performance of his career on purpose. He felt the VO was dumb and if he did a truly awful job, they’d have to drop it. Sadly, he was wrong. The Director’s cut, that wasn’t actually done by the director but a fan, dropped it 10 years later.

Obsessive Bladerunner trivia used to be a hobby of mine. You remember hobbies? Those things people did before kids arrived to age you terribly beyond your years.

4 Likes

Buying en primeur wine and realising that half of the wines you were planning to buy have a maturity date that means you really shouldn’t be buying them .

Being a father of 5 year old twins and being in my sixties sometimes makes me feel really old and sometime really young. On balance the latter.

Watching Antiques roadshow and seeing the experts discuss things from my childhood as though they are ancient artefacts.

Having dreams where I take 6 wickets for England and then waking up to realise I can’t even do the run up any more.

5 Likes

Wow I don’t know if I admire you or feel sorry for you. You certainly are a frill seeker, best of luck.

4 Likes

So many of my ex colleagues weren’t quite sure what they were going to do in their retirement - my routine and purpose is very clear ! I have two more children in their late twenties and it’s nice having kids across almost two generations. It is also a big incentive to keep fit and healthy.

4 Likes

My youngest grandkids run me ragged. Best of luck I’m sure you’re loving it.

Back on topic, I had reason to visit the town of my youth recently. My primary and junior school are now a housing estate, although it probably has a fancy name incorporating Elysian fields or somesuch. My brothers senior school is the same. My own senior school is now an academy incorporating various stage and dance schools. My first engineering workplace is a large supermarket. I then googled my previous engineering workplaces around the UK. All are gone ( we are talking large engineering firms of many thousands of employees). Only one now has a commercial enterprise, a data centre where no doubt this web site and many others may be hosted. My history has been wiped from the face of the earth. I feel old.

4 Likes

Maybe you should look at like regeneration or regrowth. I drove past our old house a few weeks ago and apart from a wheelchair ramp it’s exactly the same, all the houses around it have been renovated or knocked down and rebuilt. The house look lonely and unloved.

2 Likes

Very true, I may have re invented myself across the years. :rofl:

I am still working!

Just not right now🙂

1 Like

Retirement is great. F1. Music. Reading. Netflix. And not having to make sandwiches for work.
Going to record shops and book shops.

5 Likes

It is hard to run after a 4 year old when you are nearly 90.

Engineering is sadly losing out to ‘creatives’ (I’m old - I have no idea…but notice how new office space is now blurbed with the ‘creative’ tag). Think it just means ‘open plan’.

Hmmm…dont think ‘blurbed’ is an actual word. Hey, I’m younger than I think!

1 Like

I sometimes use Google StreetView to ‘visit’ places from when I was a kid. Just been past the secondary school I was at c. '72 to '78. It’s still there and even the Portacabin we used to have classes in is STILL in the playground - okay it might not be the same Portacabin :wink:

1 Like

Sadly it probably is.

1 Like

4 year olds I can manage. It’s the 18 year olds that I find difficult.

1 Like

i get a haircut at sainsburys, i put my head under the bacon slicer. they do not charge.

1 Like

an hmv salesman said some old man asked for a record with Beethoven conducting.

1 Like