Thinking of trying an older Melco

@james_n How are you finding it with your new(ish) NDX2? What did you have before the Melco? (And which model is it?)

How does Tidal and other streaming services work? Still the same through the Naim app (or Tidal Connect)?

It’s an old picture Gavin. I moved away from the Melco solution when I moved over to Roon.

1 Like

Do you mainly stream online? If yes, maybe more go for an Innuos PhoenixNet.
For local streaming, it’s a must. Even if it uplifts also online streaming, but less noticeably.

Mostly local with Tidal occasionally

1 Like

Two additional questions…

If I have the Melco connected directly to my ND555 by Ethernet, is it still available as a server for my Atom and Muso Qi in other rooms?

Would someone be able to share some screen shots of what browsing looks like via the Naim app?

TIA

I would say yes, but not tried. @Darkebear should know.

1 Like

It is available elsewhere on the network - it looks like an external drive NAS - you can connect to it via computer and see it as a drive with file system - or see it elsewhere via the Music Service on the Melco.
If you are using the Twonky Server option then that also has a Web Interface and you can use a web browser to access and play music from any device and point it to any device, not just the ND555. So it is flexible.

Via Naim App it shows up as a ‘Server’ on the top menu and you just select it then navigate to what you want to play.

DB.

2 Likes

Omg…bits are not bits again…it would be interesting to see if the amount of data differed from one rip to the other…

Well, I’ve decided to go for it, and the unit’s going to Melco to be upgraded to EX spec. Looking forward to getting stuck in (at some point).

1 Like

I have one and it fits on a lower fraim shelf but sticking out a bit. It sounds excellent but not quite for round to getting the appropriate software on mac to edit metadata. It seems much less user friendly than the Core, on which you can edit the track and album names etc. the metadata as automatically imported is a bit ropey, I have quite a lot with no album art and generally speaking if you want to be able to see any album art you have to keep turning it on and off. Knowing what I know and starting again I would stick with a core even though the Melco sounds better - the core is massively easier to use

It fits if you remove the rear bolt housing and just leave the bolt. That is what I have done.

1 Like

Good idea, but is the Fraim shelf still effective if you remove the bolt?
By the way, have you artwork missing for your WAV files, just curious ?

Yes it seems to make no difference. It is not the bolt that is removed just the slip over case that surrounds it. Some people have used a plastic pipe instead to cover the bolt.

I was having all sorts of problems with firmware version 3.91 on my Melco with missing or incorrect artwork. Since I have updated the firmware to the latest 3.93 I have had no problems at all and all artwork is displayed correctly. DB has found the same.

2 Likes

But had you Naim Wav rips transferred on it?

No all of my rips are done with my Melco D-100 as are Darke Bear’s who had the same problem.

1 Like

While I have heard rips made on a Melco D100, and they are very good, I did not want to spend that much (£1100?) on a device that would be little used after initial ripping of my CD collection. Instead I bought, as recommended by my dealer, a CD Drive/ripper made by Buffalo, Melco’s parent company. This cost about £120 and, to my old ears, the rips sound fine on my Melco N1 ZH2.

1 Like

Indeed - and for unknown reasons the sound quality is better too. :upside_down_face: :bear:

DB.

Thanks Michael F.
So maybe @Gazza , have you tried to see if the last firmware update was done. You can see it in the menu ( settings) with the buttons on the screen of the Melco.

I will ask them…….as it has gone back……for now.

1 Like

I have applied the latest firmware update and still lots of artwork not showing

2 Likes