Those record clamps

Yes there Is no gap and It has to be that way. Often, mostly when records are flat, at the end when the clamp is released after playing, the record is bonded to the platter, I need to let some air in to be able to lift it.

i’m even more confused now

so no gap, no mat and the record is pressed against the platter while the
grommet is squished flat by the force applied by the clamp…cool

just saw a vpi setup video and they barely mention the clamp and grommet

1 Like

Let me try again :slightly_smiling_face: the gromnet Is not squeezed really, It keeps the label area elevated so that the clamp can bend and flatten the grooves area against the platter. If the grommet would be squeezed there would be no point in using the clamp (that kind of clamp…)

1 Like

…might be best to think of the grommet as being hard and the clamp as squashing the record flat against the platter/mat. Not that I use a clamp.

that HRS weigh is amazing, beat everything I threw at it.

1 Like

They get in the way of an Aro and also, I suspect, of an SPU unless it’s an N version.

As @yankfish did not find the explanation in the video, here I am again :slight_smile: So the label area is elevated and the clamp presses the record against the platter. This seems to mean the outer part of the record, as the label area is, well, elevated. Then we are back at what I wrote previously: the record surface is now not horizontal. Which you said is not the case, and so my confusion continues.

Edit: Or the clamp pressure is so high that only the label area is elevated and the grooves area is flat and horizontal, but this seems would put quite a lot of stress on the record and I suppose can’t be the case

Hi, yes things are as you said in your edit… It looks like it’s stressing for the record but it’s not :slightly_smiling_face:
It Is now 2 years I am using that and I have to acnowledge it’s a clever and efficient system…

Success! Thank you :slight_smile:

I would be more worried about stress on the bearing. In any case Rega TTs are not designed to be used with clamps.

Well in the VPI case as it is an integral feature of the TT one would expect that the bearing is designed for it. But yeah, this route and the Rega way both leading to satisfying music reproduction makes one wonder if TT construction really matters all that much :slight_smile:

I do have a Michell Engineering clamp that I used with older slightly warped records as for record matts I have a Delrin platter on my Rega and so don’t use a matt and have a Funk Firm Achromat on my Technics.

I’ve been playing with the HRS weight again after my last post to this thread. I realised I’d not tried it since I changed cartridges and the current one tracks at 3g. I have a few slightly conical records which the screw down clamp on the Rock flattened nicely which ever way up they were, on the current deck with its flat mat with a recess for the label area the cone stays so either only the inside or outside of the disc is supported. The 100g delrin puck that comes with the deck has some effect in stabilising the sound and I generally prefer it to nothing. The HRS weight is considerably heavier and its contact material is heavily damping. With a few of the thinest and most conical LPs the damping effect is an improvement over the puck taming some the ringing of a piano, but a piano can ring a bit live so its a matter of how the ringing sounds rather than whether it’s there or not. On other discs the HRS tames some of the liveness out of the sound and reduces dynamics so that an orchestra shrinks and the wild ride that is Comus First Utterance, reissued on heavy vinyl
loses too much of its wildness, it should not be an easy listen.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.