Thoughts on moving into the 21st century

Update.
Now looking at a streamer from naim.
Din connection to my Nait 3.
Just ripped a couple of cds to flac using dbpoweramp on my pc.
Now debating on a NAS or SSD.

A nas sits on the network. You rip on your PC and then copy to the nas. The streamer will then find it and tell it what to play. If you rely on an SSD you have to disconnect it from the Naim and take it to your computer every time you want to add to it, which would be a right pain.

2 Likes

See the thread I started 18 plus months ago. Something like" do I need a Core ?"
The short answer was no. Synology 218+, 2 Hdds and Asset on my PC. Sorted.
To add to that thread. " Do I need a cd player ?", same answer.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. IMO it is certainly worth getting your Nait 3 serviced if she is a keeper. Get the Nait adapted by your dealer (which is approved by Naim and, I think, involves the cutting of some internals) so that it will take your FC, and get that serviced too. You will be good to go!

2 Likes

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

I used a Star to rip some 800 classical CDs. The rip itself is fine but the metadata created by the NAIM “Music Store” software is a total mess. And if, by any chance, you have a significant number of classical CDs, BEWARE. See the postings in the threads I started “Metadata options for classical CDs” as well as “Ripping from a Star”.
And, respectfully, Dave, in my view a 3 tb NAS for “several hundred CDs” is overkill. A 500 gb SSD for $100 will be just fine. Keep a copy in the cloud and you’re in great shape.

3 Likes

Hi,

May I ask you if you encounter metadatas issues only old recordings or even on actual releases (I have some conductors big boxes and it would be pointless for me to invest in a ripper that can not correctly identifie half the cd’s).

Best regards

1 Like

@Dave31 hi, I’ve followed your thread with interest as someone who has over the last few months been considering switching from CD to streaming, vinyl stays whatever.

Conclusion for me. Ripping 000s of CDs just can’t be worth the faff it seems whichever way you seek to do this, backup, metadata etc will forever be an issue. And as I’ve said numerous times before playing a CD is just simple. However, streaming from Tidal, Qubuz etc is equally simple and even more convenient. So skip the ripping malarkey and frankly just stream, the world of music out there on the streaming platforms is just about infinite.

3 Likes

So far I have had a few tests on DBpoweramp and have had no issues on the metadata.

2 Likes

I’m still going to Rip the cd collection using pc and DBpoweramp.
Tidal sounds very interesting and will be worth investigating.

2 Likes

For classical music old reference, I need to edit metadatas very oftenly while for new releases the identification is flawless.

Steady now Lindsay, it’s a slippery slope and a steep one at that when you start with a CDS3/555PS.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

On “actual releases” absolutely. I cannot recommend the metadata assigned by the Naim “Music Store” using the ripping capability of the Uniti Star for classical music. Read these 2 threads:

1 Like

I took the plunge this year Lindsay, sold my CDS3 and bought an NDX2/Core keeping my XPS for powering the streamer. I often search my Core library for ideas of what to play. It’s like having my CDs without the pain of getting on my knees to search my old shelves. The declutter is nice too. So there are hidden advantages to ripping. Like you my records stay however…

2 Likes

Thank you

So, time for an update.
I bought the Nova just over three weeks ago.
So glad I did.
Still ripping my cd collection to FLAC.
Streaming services have been very impressive.
Also ethernet connection I found improves the open sound rather than WiFi.
Some 30 feet of cable was required from router to Nova.
So after some new words that my son has learned from me with various drilling and hiding cables I’m glad I did it.
Sound quality improves everyday.

8 Likes

Given the events of the past 21 years I’d stay in 1999 if I were you.

4 Likes

Oh please, remember when all that could go wrong was the Millennium Bug…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.