Thunderdome: Supernait3 v 200DR/202

When you have a NAPSC the 200 still powers the 202, the NAPSC just controls the software. It’s a trickle down configuration from the 282.

2 Likes

The NAPSC takes care of the switching and logic circuitry. This circuitry can be surprisingly noisy so the benefits of a separate supply to this are not subtle. It’s definitely worth doing the demo.

4 Likes

Information available here:

1 Like

I’d attend a ‘stare down’ between the 200/202 and the SN.

1 Like

Well not necessarily true in all cases, for a hard to drive, say a 4ohm speaker, the ~20W output power (into 4ohm) difference might be pretty crucial, the SN will definitely have the edge.

At some point I was driving a 4ohm Dali standmounts first with a Nait 5si and then with my current SN2, well, the latter seemed to be in full control of these demanding boxes. Not comparing the 5si with 202/200 combo, but what I mean it is impossible to break the laws of physics in this case. For a less demanding, easy to drive speakers this difference in the output power might not be even noticeable. SN is identical to 202/200 in terms of upgrade options too - you won’t need a separate psu should you wish to add a say 282. I would go for the SN every time, actually this is what I went for already a few years ago. Just my 2cent.

2 Likes

And a lot of the speakers go below 6 and 4ohm a lot of the time.
It’s all about the speakers and the room, not one amp vs the other in isolation

Good stuff, thanks. Out of curiosity, was it just the power difference/speaker drive that got you to go with the SN?

As far as I remember yes, but the difference was quite obvious, especially with the control in the low frequency region.

1 Like

@Maury_Finkle From Naim’s published information about the NAP200DR:

“The Naim Audio NAP 200 is stable into any load and can drive a 2-ohm load for long periods of time.”

Hopefully this helps you. Might be worth checking if any such claims are made about the SN3.

I really wouldn’t overthink this. You’ll always get contradictory opinions. The power of the 200 and SN3 are pretty much the same; if you want more welly it’s the fully regulated 250 you need to be looking at. If your heart says 202/200 then that’s what to get. It’s a really nice amplifier.

4 Likes

HH, helpful as always. I completely agree. Everybody is gong to have different requirements and differing opinions. What I really like about this discussion is the fact that we’re kind of down to splitting hairs. That means you can go with the option that’s going to make the most sent for you - you’re not going to get a measured difference in SQ.

I sorted my thinking over the weekend - and it came out like this:

1. I’m completely fine with boxes

2. If more cowbell is available, at some point I’m gonna need more cowbell.

So I think that a 200/202 (with a NAPSC, of course) is going to work for the next year or so…

1 Like

Absolutely. I’ve learned a new meaning for cowbell too!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.