Thunderstorms, do I always need to unplug?

In English, we say “Coq au Vin”.

How do you say it in French…?

5 Likes

We had some pretty good storms this weekend (our monsoon season), lots of thunder and lighting. I’ve been here 6 years and have yet to witness a strike in the vicinity.

Probably lost in translation as it crossed the channel, but given the debate about the staying or not staying in a vehicle, Van

Rather than Vin

Is maybe more appropriate :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

2 Likes

I believe it was a joke based on a type of car.

Edit: @james_n beat me

1 Like

I think you missed the joke FR. Van (fourgon in French) is a type of vehicle so it was a joke about a chicken cooking in a vehicle. ‘Vin’ is pronounced very similarly to ‘Van’ so it was an excellent joke (IMO) ruined in the explanation :disappointed:

PS - not entirely serious about joke being ruined. It made me laugh :wink:

1 Like

The same

Ah ok, i missed the real joke. Thanks. Good joke indeed :+1::+1:

1 Like

Fourgon is a large van (long, high roof) and camionette probably true for small van (normal transit size).

Pedant mode off. :smiley:

1 Like

How about fourgonnette?

I couldn’t guess that the pronunciation of vin is quite similar to van. Thanks all for clarifying. Sad I missed that joke.

It’s a fourgonnette

1 Like

No worries - your English is much, much better than my French. Quel dommage

1 Like

LOL

Info I gathered from the web on cars and lightning…

A complete metal shield (ie a proper Faraday cage) is necessary for full protection – so if you’re stranded during a lightning storm, take cover inside a metal car with the windows wound up which should act at least as a partial Faraday cage.

• Convertibles do not afford sufficient protection, even with the roof closed. A cloth top will not form a complete Faraday cage either and won’t be safe.
  • Fibreglass-bodied cars are not safe as the outside body needs to be conductive to form a Faraday cage and fibreglass is an insulator.
  • The person in the car must not be touching any metal object in the car.
  • Door and window handles, radio dials, CB microphones, steering wheels, and other inside-to-outside metal objects should be left alone during close-in lightning events.
  • Small riding mowers and golf buggies are examples of unsafe vehicles.

The USA’s National Lightning Safety Institute also recommends pulling off to the side of the road in a safe manner, turning on the hazard lights, turning off the engine, putting your hands in your lap, and waiting out the storm.

Enjoy… Hammond getting struck by about 0.3% of the potential of a typical lightning charge in a VW at one of the few facilities available. No damage at this minuscule rate compared to true lightning, but still quite scary though :grinning:

https://players.brightcove.net/1546304439/B1eqZKd2Yx_default/index.html?videoId=1614615896

1 Like

All this talk of lightning and cars…

1 Like

The wonder is they ever got it to 88MPH. :rofl:

2 Likes

Coc in wine with some lovely Boletus mushrooms

Does not sound as appetizing in English somehow

The nearest I ever got to being struck by lightning was whilst climbing on via ferrata in the Dolomites. Approach was cloudy but dry. I was second man in a group of about a dozen. It started to spit as I went up a short ladder and transferred to an exposed outcrop I had to climb around. The person ahead of me was already on the ledge above and the rain went from 0-60 in what seemed like seconds and I had water starting to sheet off the outcrop I was trying to get around. Then the strike happened - according to others a matter of metres away from me.

All I saw was the brightest white light filling my field of vision. All I heard was an ear-splitting bang at rock concert levels simultaneous with the flash. I felt in my hands and wrists (which were on the actual ferrata wire at the time) a painful buzzing like I was holding a 2-stroke chainsaw or similar. Apart from the surprise, I was fine and carried on climbing with a fun story to tell.

But I still unplug my kit when I go on holiday or it starts to look a bit flash-bangy outside.

Mark

Except one would normally say chicken not coc

Well. Normally the dish specifically suggests to use a coc. There are of course important differences and I’m not talking about the obvious one :rofl:
And as someone already suggested it is not readily translated and so coq au vin is understood