Tidal Connect

Thanks, but this is for the Chromecast dongle as far as I can tell, which is not in play here. Or am I missing something?

We devote equal time to both Android and iOS development, but the former - due to the many more variables and iterations involved - is much more complex. Just one example: our Android developers are currently having to devote time to addressing a specific issue caused by OnePlus’s Android implementation, and also a Google-specific bug - these are essential fixes that have to take precedence over new features (like the lock-screen).

And re AirPlay being added in 2018 - it was possible to do so, so we did it for the many Naim App users that use iOS - including the huge numbers that had bought Mu-so and Qb 1st Gen from Apple Store.

The measurements are, but they show the issue when using Chrome, which is not dongle specific. It’s discovered when trying to measure the device.

Gotta say I’m loving the Tidal ‘Classic Rock Classics’ playlist at the moment :grinning:

1 Like

I can’t see what Tidal connect does that the Tidal " native in the Naim app" doesn’t?

2 Likes

It’s similar to iPeng, but because it’s browser based can be used on iOS, Android or any computer really. I think what you need to do is type in the address of your Zen server in the browser along with :9000 at the end. This should open up the LMS controller. It controls the Zen, but if you go into server settings and browse around you will find plug-ins you can install. One of them is the UPnP/DLNA bridge plug-in. Once installed and configured you will see your Naim streamer in the list of players. Choose to stream to it and a way you go. I did all the set-up on my MacBook, but mostly use the iPad as a controller. Or you can go from one to the other without any issues. The app is customisable and has artist and album info along with lyrics. A bit like a simple version of Roon. Best plug-in is the “don’t stop the music” which creates a playlist of music similar to what you’ve been listening to after an album finishes.

3 Likes

Ah, now with more time and a proper screen I can see that it only occurs when tabcasting from Chrome. Shitty, glad that I don’t have any use for this. (Though the article is from 2018 and it would be interesting if anything changed - I don’t feel like trawling through the 32 pages of comments, on the last page people are at each others throats as usual)

Nothing fundamental. Just gives you the convenience to use the TIDAL app if you wish, plus - like Spotify Connect - move between devices as you wish (eg listening to TIDAL in the car; pick up where you left off at home)

@Charles64 , perhaps you should read the post 36, by DomTomLondon. He uses the Innuos Zen and Nova, like you, but with another app.

2 Likes

Can’t quite see the excitement then.

If you have a pc and download the app, it casts directly from that now, you don’t need Chrome anymore.

I see. Well I don’t need it anyway, but surely good to know for those who want to stream from the PC

Awesome news both for Tidal and Naim but bit disapointing that the feature will be available from 2021 ( I guess it could be even 4th quater of '21 as there is no info on this) if the competition already implemented it. I guess Tidal had been liaising with different manufacturers at the same time before this was announced.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s more complexity, but your examples are bugs. If you’re telling me that you didn’t know that when planning that feature or alternatively that for 9 months you’ve had no time to work on anything but bug fixes. And there’s so many that you can’t even plan when you will release it? Those are all very worrying. It’s not that it was planned for a little bit later, it’s 9 months and not even planned for the next release. People can create another human in that time :wink:

Airplay, again, I don’t understand. It’s an additional connectivity option, but one that’s only usable for iOS users. Why not an additional connectivity option for everyone? Why could Airplay be added, but not any others? Happy to disable most of the others if that makes ‘space’.

I understand that it’s probably a legitimate business decision to prioritise Apple, but let’s not pretend that isn’t happening.

What’s the whole Apple Store thing for example? It works with the features that were there when they bought it. I bought mine in a store that also sells Android devices, does that help to get new features added? And to repeat, I’m just talking about features that work for everyone, not even Android only features.

1 Like

There are some features of Tidal that aren’t available via the Naim app, such as the MyMix playlists. I found the search works better on the Tidal app too.
I guess there’s also the possibility of getting the first unfold of MQA, although personally I can’t get excited about that.

2 Likes

Why Tidal connect is such interesting feature ? I even don’t know what it is.
I am just surprised at how many people are glad to have all these features, like Chromcast, Airplay, soon Tidal connect.
I have not the new streamer but doubt I would need to use all these features, even Tidal or Qobuz native.
Streaming locally from my server is all I need. Or perhaps I miss something ?

1 Like

I have no idea either. I just play music.
There seems to be more of an interest in nit-picking than enjoying music.
:thinking:

3 Likes

Because it allows you to use the native app, which is quite obviously better than any integration will ever be.

Also, it allows other people visiting to easily play something, without them having to install the Naim app which they’ll otherwise never use. (I admit considering the pandemic, the latter is less of an issue atm)

4 Likes

Spotify Connect is my main reason using Spotify so getting this on Tidal is a huge dealbreaker for me. Using the much better native app and seamless handover between iPhone, MacBook, ipad is great. Unfortunately not supported I’m my 272 but I’ll wait bit more on the updated version. If it doesn’t arrive I might need to solve it some other way.

1 Like

It allows you to use the native app without loosing sound quality ? If yes, I understand. If not, I personally only major sound quality, so a better app is not a major concern.
If you can have both, ok.