Tidal Connect

Happy days. I am a happy Atom user since few days so its great news

If using the Tidal app is that important it is simple to do either use airplay or chromecast. In practical terms you get what connect will give you with a few exceptions.
Claus

Maybe they are also adding an option to turn on MQA?

Very doubtful.

1 Like

Volumio has less to break and optimise itā€™s just softwwre, Naim has to balance many things that can swing out of balance with hardware, , also plenty other things that are added to updates that need firmly testing. If anything the issues lots had with 3.5 I would rather have a long dev and testing period than go through what I had with 3.5. The beta programme now has a broader range of user which helps but delays things as it brings to light more bugs than with a smaller less diverse user group.

Hi Clare,

Any news here?

2 Likes

Hello! Few last snags being tackled; iā€™ll keep you updated.

6 Likes

Welcome back from your hols.

2 Likes

Welcome back Madame Clare.

1 Like

Hello everyone! A year ago, I became the proud owner of Naim Mu-So 2 (before that, there was Bluesound). I really like the Tidal music service, but I donā€™t like the Naim app. At the end of the year, you promised to release a new firmware with Tidal Connect support, but it is still not there (and on Bluesound, Tidal Connect support appeared almost immediately after the release and appeared already from all other manufacturers). Iā€™m disappointed. I think that such a slow work on updating appears simply disrespectful in our digital world. Before that, I wanted to upgrade to Naim Atom, but decided to sell the Naim Mu-So system and go back to Bluesound. Respect your customers who buy such expensive devices and finally hire more developers.

So you joined the Naim forum just to moan?

Tidal Connect is in Beta and close to release. Naim will be ensuring that the SQ is the best that they can get it and that it also doesnā€™t cause degredation elsewhere.

4 Likes

As a user, I have the right to express my opinion about the product I use. And also, when choosing a product, I look at the market where there are alternative products that are updated and developed much faster.

3 Likes

Well I for one am happy that Naim donā€™t just rush things out and take their time to ensure that new features have the best sound quality possible without causing degradation in other parts of the system. It seems a bit petulant to sell the Naim gear just because you donā€™t like the Naim app while knowing that Tidal Connect is coming soon. And all other manufacturers support Tidal Connect. Really?

Well, without the moaning there wouldnā€™t be improvements and its disrespectful treating users like you just did. Maybe a better world would be to filter everything bad going on in the world to let people think everything is OK? Iā€™m sure China welcomes you. Paying premium waiting 9 months vs paying cheap and getting it immediately of course means frustration for users with all their rights to moan and complaint. What Connect has to do with sound quality would be interesting to know from you.

2 Likes

My take on all the moaning and the incessant ā€˜Please Miss, are we there yet?ā€™ queries is that Naim should rigidly avoid announcing forthcoming new features ( as they do with new products ) and simply issue a press release the day before the software update goes live.

I didnā€™t know that moaning was the correct method for procuring improvements. Thank you for informing me.

Itā€™s the implementation of Connect on the Naim platform that may or may not affect SQ not the use of it by the end user.

Iā€™ve no idea why you are wittering on about China :thinking::flushed:

This is a tricky one. While Iā€™m very appreciative of the free upgrades we get on our systems, I feel like this has dragged on a little. Other players in the market have updated their systems long ago. I have a Bluesound as a second office setup and to be honest (Itā€™s no Naim) for the money, it sounds great and the Tidal Connect which has been implemented for 6 months works flawlessly.

I suspect there is more to play than optimising for Tidal Connect. Iā€™d say Naim has been developing for Tidal Connect and Spotify HI-Fi in tandem. Perhaps they are hanging out for the imminent arrival of Spotify Hi-Fi, and then they just push one firmware upgrade at the same time. Perhaps Spotify Hi-Fi got delayed which intern has delayed the Tidal Connect Upgrade.

We need to remember Naim doesnā€™t really have to offer anything after we have purchased; they could in fact, just force everyone to upgrade to get the new features. So in an ever-changing digital world, and as frustrated as I am. Iā€™m waiting patiently. Sort of :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Couldnā€™t have (and havenā€™t) put it better myself! You buy a top of the line entry streamer, you donā€™t really expect to be left behind in terms of feature parity.

Whatā€™s made this feel much longer than the time ā€œthe competitionā€ had to wait are the updates of time frame etc - I feel that if we had a more concrete time frame from the beginning then expectations would be set - seeing an apparently working beta as soon as the announcement of Tidal Connect went live from the man in charge of software at Naim, to getting hints of time frames etc has made the wait feel so long for me.

I wonder if it will be released before the end of this yearā€¦

2 Likes

I think summer was promised, so it should come within the next three weeks :wink:

2 Likes