Tidal Connect

We definitely don’t - you’re just paranoid (Android) :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Nothing at all - there are indeed some potential advantages of using a native implementation, for the reasons Steve Harris outlines in his post linked to near top of this thread. (Though TIDAL Connect is different to Chromecast, it must be said.)

But there’s no denying the convenience or capabilties of TIDAL Connect, and we’re happy to support it as an option in that future firmware update.

I have a 1st Gen Muso and Tidal works fine over WiFi :slight_smile:

@NAIM … On tidal slash connect they do not make a difference. They simply mention Mu-So devices in general. So that would imply Gen1 and Gen2 … If you really are not going to be able to introduce Tidal Connect to Gen 1 devices, you should have this corrected on the Tidal website as this will definitely trigger wrong expectations …

The exact text:

• Naim
  • To set up TIDAL on Naim download the update alongside instructions on how to apply to your streamer from the Naim website. Owners of Mu-so wireless music systems will be prompted to update via their Naim app for iOS and Android devices. Look out for the Update Available notice and then follow the in-app instructions to update and benefit from the new functionality.

I have been known to be a bit paranoid (I think that’s the reason everyone hates me :wink: )

But this is a good example of why I’m inclined to think this. Why was so much effort taken to include Airplay, which is only of use to Apple users? But connection options which would work for both OS’ (not just Android) apparently aren’t being considered? My guess would be because Apple users are already covered by the former, so you don’t see a need anymore. Your first response was also to suggest Airplay.

Options like Tidal Connect or perhaps Chromecast (assuming it doesn’t require additional hardware) should work for everyone.

Another example is the lock screen widget, which so far has only been released for Apple. For Android it’s apparently on a backlog somewhere, but not scheduled for the next release, even though the Apple release was 9 months ago.

Can you give me a single example of something you’ve done that only benefits Android users?

1 Like

Oh great that’s another nail in the coffin for the legacy streamers then. I got my SuperUniti new, three years ago, and would think that it should get some upgrade love from Naim. Alas it now looks like a pipe dream. Looks like I’d need to upgrade to the Nova to get the new streaming options and loose out on some features that the Nova doesn’t have :disappointed:

Hi Tom
Do you still have the Zen Mini?
Do you not use Roon or Audirvana apps?
(I’ve just moved from the MConnectHD app back to the Naim app for Tidal on my 272.)
Jim

1 Like

Hi JimDog, yes still have the Zen Mini. Which does support Qobuz and Tidal so it’s not the end of the world. I use the iPeng app and I’ve recently started to use the Logitech Media Server control app via web interface as well. Which allows me to stream from the Zen to the SuperUniti via UpNP. I tested Roon with it a while back but was not 100% convinced, especially paying that much for essentially control software on top of Qobuz or Tidal, which already have nice user interface apps.

1 Like

We’re asking TIDAL to clarify that on their website, plus the ‘coming soon’ nature of our TIDAL Connect involvement, as it’s certainly not our intention to mislead!

I bought my Qb’s in 2019 a couple of months before the gen2 was released.

How does the LMS control app work?

Thanks, but this is for the Chromecast dongle as far as I can tell, which is not in play here. Or am I missing something?

We devote equal time to both Android and iOS development, but the former - due to the many more variables and iterations involved - is much more complex. Just one example: our Android developers are currently having to devote time to addressing a specific issue caused by OnePlus’s Android implementation, and also a Google-specific bug - these are essential fixes that have to take precedence over new features (like the lock-screen).

And re AirPlay being added in 2018 - it was possible to do so, so we did it for the many Naim App users that use iOS - including the huge numbers that had bought Mu-so and Qb 1st Gen from Apple Store.

The measurements are, but they show the issue when using Chrome, which is not dongle specific. It’s discovered when trying to measure the device.

Gotta say I’m loving the Tidal ‘Classic Rock Classics’ playlist at the moment :grinning:

1 Like

I can’t see what Tidal connect does that the Tidal " native in the Naim app" doesn’t?

2 Likes

It’s similar to iPeng, but because it’s browser based can be used on iOS, Android or any computer really. I think what you need to do is type in the address of your Zen server in the browser along with :9000 at the end. This should open up the LMS controller. It controls the Zen, but if you go into server settings and browse around you will find plug-ins you can install. One of them is the UPnP/DLNA bridge plug-in. Once installed and configured you will see your Naim streamer in the list of players. Choose to stream to it and a way you go. I did all the set-up on my MacBook, but mostly use the iPad as a controller. Or you can go from one to the other without any issues. The app is customisable and has artist and album info along with lyrics. A bit like a simple version of Roon. Best plug-in is the “don’t stop the music” which creates a playlist of music similar to what you’ve been listening to after an album finishes.

3 Likes

Ah, now with more time and a proper screen I can see that it only occurs when tabcasting from Chrome. Shitty, glad that I don’t have any use for this. (Though the article is from 2018 and it would be interesting if anything changed - I don’t feel like trawling through the 32 pages of comments, on the last page people are at each others throats as usual)

Nothing fundamental. Just gives you the convenience to use the TIDAL app if you wish, plus - like Spotify Connect - move between devices as you wish (eg listening to TIDAL in the car; pick up where you left off at home)

@Charles64 , perhaps you should read the post 36, by DomTomLondon. He uses the Innuos Zen and Nova, like you, but with another app.

2 Likes