Tidal drop outs with

Yes, I understand that that Tidal has switched from FLAC to mp4 and this is the main issue.

Excellent.

No, not correct, Tidal has mostly FLAC but on occasion has oAAC codec files (in Hi-Fi subscription). Tidal are now encapsulating some of their AAC files within an mp4 container which is valid. However Naim needed a software update with the older streamers to support.
FLAC files can not be contained within an mp4 container in a standardised way.

Thanks Simon for the clarification. I am glad it is being sorted.

Anyone done update yet? Does it correct Tidal issue?

Update done on my 272. Off to bed so won’t know if it’s all good until tomorrow evening. Will do the Qute tomorrow hopefully.

Since yesterday no TIDAL in uniti Star. HiFi Abo!
Tried Otter devices and a complete reset of the Whole System! Streaming over the TIDAL App (AirPlay, chromecast) works.

I dont find any Infos about the uniti series just muso and older streamers.

PLZ help
Thx and have a nice day

Updated Uniti2 and UC to 4.7.0.

Uniti2 still drops out on Tidal… will play, but can’t access display settings through the hand remote (spanner button).

UC2 dropped Tidal and is now bricked, even after resets. Remote won’t work. Can’t discover UC via Naim App at all.

I had swapped the remotes around between the 2, but don’t know how to pair them - will sort that with the dealer tomorrow.

But, Tidal still dropping with 4.7.0 and I’m in no mood now to dismantle everything and reconnect to the computer again…

Yes, and no…

Yes, this update won’t stop dropouts per se, but should stop the occasional issue of certain tracks not playing and the legacy streamer stopping on Tidal

Oh my goodness. I thought the patch fixed what we were discussing and now all I have is a bricked UC2 and a pair of remotes that won’t access menus… Fiddlesticks.

Reading the thread, there were multiple issues, and the commentary from Naim is about mp4/AAC issues and other matters … nothing about TCP latency.

4.7.0 - Patch release fixes:

Fixed: Some Tidal streams on the high quality setting with a .mp4 extension would fail to play
Fixed: Audio artefacts when playing MP3 56kb/s iRadio stations (BBC World Service)
Fixed: Glitches when playing iRadio station CJAD 800, Qobec
Fixed: d on Dirty Disk text capitalised (Uniti/Uniti2 only)
Fixed: Updating from older versions (v4.3.0 or older) will retain new features (DSD, Tidal etc.)

Well, I think that has been very poorly communicated by Naim. Most of us would not have any idea about that distinction. There is a widely reported and discussed problem with Tidal streaming and a firmware update is released following reports that a fix was imminent. We have reasonably inferred it fixes the problem we have and it doesn’t. I’ve had to buy cables, dismantle systems to connect to a computer, put it all back together again, only to find the problem isn’t even addressed. It’s stinking hot here, so I’m going for beer!

Thanks for the update. It now appears from the discussion below that this update doesn’t address the Tidal drop-outs we are discussing in this thread. It hasn’t with my Uniti2 and UC2.

I think that has been very poorly communicated by Naim. Most of us would not have any idea that the fix is for some other file type/issue?. There is a widely reported and discussed problem with Tidal streaming and a firmware update is released following reports that a fix was imminent, and you’ve posted in this thread that a patch fix has been released. I have reasonably inferred it fixes the problem I have and it doesn’t. I’ve had to buy cables, dismantle systems to connect to a computer, put it all back together again, only to find the problem isn’t even addressed.

Maybe our definitions of drop outs and Tidal stop playing are different. I’ll go with Tidal stops playing just make it more clear but really what are the differences in the 2?

1 Like

To be fair to Naim, they did state quite clearly that this update was to enable streamers to play M4a files that Tidal have started using (apparently without warning) for some of their catalogue. No mention was made of changes to prevent dropouts.

If you need the stuff about pairing old Uniti remotes, I have got it printed out somewhere and could find it for you.
Best
David

Updated NDX na still Tidal drops out :worried:

The moment I read this I thought “this isn’t going to fix the Tidal stopping playing problem that we are experiencing”. Plus it would have been a record turnaround time from naim if it did indeed address and fix the problem.

1 Like

It’s very frustrating. The thread is about Tidal drop outs and Naim Support posted in the thread that a software update has been released, so one might expect the fix related to the issue discussed in the thread. Alas, no. So Tidal remains unplayable.