Tidal Flac Hi-Res

@llatsni post :
«
I was only pointed toward mConnect the other day in the long Tidal Max thread. It works really well, much better than similar apps I’ve failed to get on with in the past.

I’m reasonably familiar with the technology it uses: DNLA (think streaming, built on UPnP, which is networking). The app acts as a ‘Controller’, only lightly managing a direct connection between the ‘Server’ (Tidal) and the ‘Renderer’ (your streamer).

Basically the app tells the streamer to play a remote file. So while the app doesn’t handle any streaming data, it’s constantly required to manage the connection and provide the urls of the files. Which is where it differs to a “connect” type approach, where the streamer does all of that autonomously«

The difference is DLNA , used by Mconnect, not Naim app.

If it’s entirely true…

2 Likes

Yea the reason DLNA/UPnP can play high res FLAC “now” is because it’s always been supported… but only recently available from Tidal.

I’d say confidently that Naim use their own proprietary software layer on top of the streamunlimited firmware (not DLNA/UPnP), and that both need to be updated before we can access high res natively.

3 Likes

Well I finally cracked it. What it is in the mconnect app. There is a little icon in the upper left-hand corner. And it has three different modes. One of them is continuous repeat. After I installed

the app this was the default.

There’s also this feature in the Tidal settings on Mconnect and Tidal that I haven’t seen on the Naim app steaming Tidal.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.