Tidal HiFi Plus - 90 Days for £2

Tidal’s contribution to artists per stream is miniscule compared to Qobuz as with many other streaming providers (note the data is from 2018, source The Tricordist).

I don’t agree with advocating a service that doesn’t offer high resolution on the Naim platform, allegedly messes with the gain on tracks and also doesn’t reward the artists as much as others, yet costs the subscriber more:-

Digital Service Provider $ Per Stream
Qobuz $0.04390
Peloton $0.04036
iHeartRadio $0.01426
Amazon Unlimited $0.01175
Napster/Rhapsody $0.01110
24/7 Entertainment GmbH $0.01050
YouTube Red $0.00948
Tidal $0.00927
Deezer $0.00567
Google Play $0.00543
Apple $0.00495
KKBox $0.00435
Amazon Digital Services Inc. $0.00395
Spotify $0.00331
Loen $0.00205
Pandora $0.00155
Vevo $0.00109
Yandex LLC $0.00051
YouTube Content ID $0.00028
UMA $0.00013

Bottom ten providers really are milking it.

2 Likes

I think in your perception of “Judgement holier than thou” you missed the fact that you are not going about your discount honestly. As I mentioned you are gaming the system. But that’s you

Actually the labels do get paid based on the overall sum of subscription income, from the Tidal FAQ:

Currently, all major streaming services calculate royalties for sound recordings in a similar manner. An overall royalty “pool” is determined every month by streaming providers, the size of which is based upon the total subscription fees received from subscribers for that month. Then, the total number of streams are aggregated across subscribers each month on a country and plan basis, and then split by artist.

Granted, artists in the end often get shafted either way (and have always been a hundred years before streaming). Nevertheless …

They’re getting desperate. Just received an email with an offer of 90 days for £1.00

I knew playing hard ball would pay dividends. Eventually. :thinking:

I wonder with these offers, do Tidal still pay the artists the same amount?

The royalties are paid out of the revenue (subscription fees). If that dries out the artists first get less and eventually Tidal goes bust. Personally I am happy to pay a bit more to keep them in the business. However, I am afraid that I am in the minority and the service which I like might unfortunately disappear.

1 Like

I’ve cancelled my service and they immediately offered me 10% discount to stay. I’m cancelling because I want to try Qobuz for a bit. I’ve still got Spotify Premium but don’t need all three. If I prefer Tidal I’ll drop the other two and re-instate Tidal. I never really use Spotify anymore except occasionally on my phone/Dac.

As the father of a professional jazz musician, I can say with authority that the musicians do not already have royalties. They are all struggling to stay in the world of music. My son has two albums out, both in Jazz charts, one the Jazz album of the year on BBC Radio 6; therefore,many plays on radio etc., Covid has been a disaster for them, he gets paid £200 a gig fgs.
If you want music, please have the good grace to pay for it.
I’m sure you require a reward for the work you do?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.