Tidal Max not working

Indeed, I have done this test too. If I close the MconnectLite app the music stops immediately.

Completely powered off?

Yes - completely powered off. I have no explanation for our different experiences. My phone is Android (a Google Pixel) - but I’m clutching at straws.

1 Like

No audio data goes through your phone. It’s merely the controller: it tells the streamer which URLs to play. The streamer streams the audio data directly.

But this service (UPNP/DNLA) does require the controller. If the controller is removed the stream stops.

3 Likes

A streamer firmware update is needed before Naim will be able to play the high res Tidal streams. I know Naim are working on it, but cannot say more. I wouldn’t assume it being ready by the end of July.

Okay, thanks for letting me know that.

In that case, I will not waste Steve Harris’s time by asking him to comment.

My Qobuz annual subscription renews in mid September.

I have just taken out a free trial of Tidal.

I will run both streaming services for the next couple of months until I can listen to Tidal hi res.

The redbook resolution Tidal files I listened to yesterday did not sound quite as good as Qobuz files, but there’s a lot of stuff on Tidal that isn’t on Qobuz so it’s useful for that alone.

I am guessing others are accidently using their phone as the source of the music files where as you are telling tidal to pull the music from the device.

1 Like

You’re right. If you close the mConnect app the music stops immediately. But if you leave the app open and power down your phone, the music continues.

But then it won’t play the next track.

If I could make a suggestion to users, get a streamer that does what you need rather than hope for hopelessly outdated ones to magically catch up. Better still don’t rely on hifi companies to be good at this stuff. Get a really good dac and plug what ever into it to deliver the files.

1 Like

I think in practice you would neither close the app nor power down your phone while listening to music. This was simply to demonstrate that the audio data is not reaching the streamer via your phone when using mConnect.

True! There are many affordable streamers out there today that work great. Personally I use Lindemann Bridge II with great result and use my NDS as a DAC only. Stop fighting with so so software and lower your pulse and enjoy music :blush::+1:

Naim is obviously one of the slowest companies on streaming implementation and in communicating timelines to their customers. There is great competition out there. Go!

1 Like

I was simply making the point hat the MconnectLite app needs to be active to continue playing tracks, whether from an album or a playlist.

2 Likes

It seems iirc that Naim have come in for some negative comments regarding the lack of comms and timescales.

Worth remembering that when all streamers were designed Tidal or Tidal Max weren’t available. Only very recent units have been shipped since Tidal Max was announced.
The clamour for wanting it all available yesterday ignores several aspects.

DVD players didn’t acquire any ability to play B-ray or h-res discs - all digital but not a design feature.
Plenty of other consumer items that don’t get upgraded. Naim don’t charge for improvement changes - Tidal into first gen streamers - despite a lot of effort required (detailed elsewhere on the forum).

The most important fact, iirc overlooked here. Tidal went the MQA route with hi-res, which Naim avoided. If Tidal hadn’t followed a niche format, hi-res would likely have been possible a great deal sooner, matching Qobuz! That choice, nothing whatsoever to do with Naim. Angst best directed to Tidal.

Naim takes a long view, always have, so as and when Max comes, it will be the best that Naim can facilitate into those streamers, which can be updated. This almost certainly will exclude the first gen ones.

Not sure that’s correct. Naim streamers have always supported Tidal haven’t they?

1 Like

This ignores the entire design and purpose of the devices in question. Yes DVD players did not suddenly play BluRay as the lasers could not read the smaller tracks on the discs due to the wavelength being used. These are things that cannot be fixed OTA. It is a hardware limitation.

The streamers are designed for updates to remain relevant in an ever changing online world. Any device that cannot or will not move with the digital content and APIs it consumed is called “obsolete”.

They are even marketed as being designed to remain relevant and future proof through updates, it is literally stated in the marketing material that many customers read before they buy.

Therefore, expecting updates for a premium priced product is quite normal and is part of the price you pay. That is how the makers remain competitive with others who do do this.

Imagine applying this same logic to your smartphone: “Sorry you bought your phone a year ago, you should be grateful that any of the app developers provide updates free of charge so your phone keeps working”.

Not to mention that the streamers can already consume FLAC, this is an open standard that is by default supported by the streamers.

So, customers who have paid a bundle based on the device and how it is marketed, have every right to expect the device to remain relevant free of charge.

Disclaimer: Personally I am sure that Naim will release this update on time and have their reasons for the delay. I am simply responding to the concept of having to be happy with a digitally connected device not moving with the times and comparing it to obsolete hardware limitations.

10 Likes

The current 2nd gen streamers have always supported Tidal. When the 1st gen streamers were developed there was no Tidal, or Spotify, Apple Music etc. That’s why they were designed to stream ripped CDs over a local network, play iTunes downloads from USB attached iOS devices.
The lack of support for CD quality and above streamed from the web was regrettable but that’s all history now.

2 Likes

Thanks Chris.

Actually not 100% correct as I’ve just checked and the manual supplement indicates Tidal support for the that whole launch range. NDS, NDX, etc.

I’m not sure how, the NDS came to market in early 2012 and Tidal was launched in 2014.

Chris has already posted good info, while I was searching for the thread linked below.
This will clearly answer your question perhaps? Direct from Naim…