TIDAL, old iPad

I have an older mini iPad and a newer iPad Pro. I used to be able to access TIDAL through the Naim app on both but now although I can see the TIDAL content on the mini iPad it won’t play. I’ve tried signing out and back in and power cycling the Atom and the iPad. I am unable to download the TIDAL app as it is ‘incompatible with this iPad’. IOS is 9.3.5 and App version is 5.19.4. I’m assuming IOS 9 is no longer supported by TIDAL but wondered if there was a workaround for within the Naim app.

I’m afraid you need at least IOS12 for the current version of the Naim app.

I think the the answer might be along the lines of “It might be possible…….if we completely recode the App.”.

This issue has come up several times before with older versions of iOS, those up to iOS 12, if memory serves. And not just Naim platforms. I use Allo(Raspberry Pi based streamers with MoOde Audio software, and my iOS 9.3.5 iPad doesn’t work either. The MoOde developers identified it as an iOS issue, and indeed they did produce a fix at that time, but that has long since gone.

Time for a new iThingy….

I recently reported a similar issue with the Forum Discourse software, which would not work on my iPhone, running iOS 12.5.5.

At the same time, both the Naim app, and Tidal within it work perfectly well.

Now I don’t have the first clue about software design, and wouldn’t understand any explanation given here, but this strikes me as being nothing more than sloppy behaviour from people who aren’t quite as clever as they imagine themselves to be. :man_shrugging:

That’s because Dave:

Sorry, but you said it!

But in simpleton’s terms, right across t’interweb thingy, other software designers seem to be able to publish updates without rendering folk’s devices unusable.

For me, very much a First World problem, as my ageing iPhone still works perfectly, both as a telephonic apparatus, and with the Naim app, a music selecta!

My slightly more modern iPad does everything, and my 1 year old MacBook Pro can do stuff I haven’t yet thought of.

… but still.

Sometimes, as a software developer, you want to use a feature that an older OS version does not have, or the older OS version has an issue, often security-related, that cannot be worked around if the OS provider does not fix it. Depending on these details, it may not be possible to continue supporting the older OS version, e.g., if it’s security related.

In other cases you could, but you must create a separate code path specifically for the older OS version, and if the data is shared (like with forum software), the content created in the code path for the older OS platform must be compatible with the newer versions. This does not come for free, you have to pay a developer to do it, and it needs to be continually maintained. This means, of course, that this developer is not doing other things with their time.

So you look at usage statistics and consider if it’s worth it. If you do this for iOS 12, you find that its market share among iOS versions in active use is in the low single-digit percents. If it was your company, what would you do?

Arguably, the health of the planet would profit from less waste, and as you say in many cases the old platform would suffice. And certainly there is a complex relationship at work, because, of course, if the OS provider and/or app developers are abandoning the old OS platform this creates incentive for users to switch to the new model even if otherwise they would not have. However, this is one of the areas where the market provides little to zero incentive, and I don’t see this change without legislation (which would not necessarily be easy to do)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.