Tidal to simplify plans it offers

There is only one Tidal sub starting in April. It includes everything.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe itā€™s in the pipeline although at the moment you can still choose between two different subs.
What is unclear is what happens when you have a 1st gen streamer. With Qobuz you have the option to limit the stream to 16/44.1 regardless of your subscription level. If that is possible with a Tidal sub too it should be OK.

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting timing for Tidal to finally realise that itā€™s Ā£20 a month hifi plus tier was a complete ripoff compared with Qobuz. Iā€™ve been listening to a lot of Qobuz hi-res music over the last month, via my WiiM Pro Plus/Nait 5/Celestion Ditton 33 setup, and itā€™s wonderful. So unsure if I will be tempted back to using Tidal, even at the price dropā€¦ But Iā€™ll give it a whirl, Iā€™m sure, as Tidal Connect is good, and it might be some time until we get a ā€˜Qobuz Connectā€™ equivalent. Yet something still sticks in my craw about giving money to Tidal over Qobuz. Not sure exactly what.

1 Like

The streamer has to be aware of the Tidal Max stream to request it so itā€™s not an issue. First gen streamers are unlikely to ever receive such a firmware update for the reasons you already stated.

I got an email today saying my family subscription went down to 16 or17 dollars. I was wondering if they dropped the quality?

Odd i have a family hifi plus, i received an email and two family members that was confusing suggesting we (the plan owner me) will pay extra for each family member ā€¦

I got my Email from Tidal today, my HiFi Plus subscription is going down from AUD 23.99 to 12.99 a month.
As a loyal Tidal customer for many years Im very impressed and happy with Tidal now being more competitive, price wise, with the other streaming service providers.

3 Likes

Has there been any communication how this will be impacting the payouts to the artists? I have not seen any. I am a bit worried about that.

Also had my message from Tidal. Hopefully (in time) Iā€™ll be able to stream hires to an ND555 and standard res to a 1st gen MuSo. Just waiting for any necessary software updates.

2 Likes

Having had Tidal and Qobuz side by side for more than a year, the deciding factors in favour of Tidal were easy for me.

There is still no Connect function in sight at Qobuz. Iā€™ve been hearing from support ā€˜we are working on itā€™ and ā€˜thank you for your patienceā€™ etc. for almost two years.
I also clearly prefer the Tidal apps on phone/tablet and computer. Next, the recommendations for new music from Tidalā€™s Daily Discovery playlist is way better than anything Iā€™ve seen from Qobuz. Daily Discovery is based on your playlists, favourites and the random listening you do. I have discovered so much new music over the years that this alone is a silver bullet feature for me.
While no breaking point, Tidalā€™s catalogue is still bigger than QB too. At least for the types of music I listen to.
And last but not least, if you have locally stored playlists - like on your phone for travel etc. - they automatically stay in sync with your online playlists. QB doesnā€™t do this (or at least didnā€™t).

2 Likes

I think - with the new Ā£10.99 price in mind - youā€™ve just made my decision for me :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if tidal undercutting qobuzā€™s subscription price per month prompts a reaction from qobuz. I suspect not, but I wonder if they will lose customers.

Just got an email from Qobuz:

ā€œWe would like to inform you that a technical maintenance period will take place on March 13th at 6am Central European Time. Our servers will be unavailable for a period of 30 minutes, which will inhibit access to both the Qobuz website and apps.ā€

Is that a reaction or has it been planned for a while?ā€:wink:

Dropped TIDAL a few years back when Qobuz became available in the United States. Currently pay $10.83 per month on the yearly agreement for HI-RES content. Quite happy at the moment with quality and catalogue of music available on Qobuz.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad iā€™ve stuck with Tidal, it has been absolutely faultless and now to have incoming Hi-Res in FLAC form for no extra cost is just the icing on a already superb subscription service cake. Great news :smiley::+1:

2 Likes

Qobuz finally appeared in Canada in the last few months so I have been doing a bit of a comparison and I canā€™t hear any difference between the two on standard CD quality. The Qobuz HD albums sound very good and probably a bit ā€œbetterā€ (but I canā€™t really say whether that is ā€œrealā€ or just some expectation bias.

I agree with @RvL that Tidalā€™s recommendations are way better than Qobuz (although I am only a couple of weeks into Qobuz). However the Tidal home page has far too much stuff that I am not interested in and you canā€™t make it go away.

There are some albums on one that arenā€™t on the other but not enough to tempt me one way or another.

The biggest factor for me is that I like to purchase one or two downloads a month and Tidal has no option for me.

I could keep both but I am not sure there is much point in that

1 Like

I have a Unity Atom HE and use the Tidal Connect input. My Tidal account has updated but I donā€™t seem to be able the audio input quality. Iā€™m in the UK.

Iā€™ve noticed that the Tidal App has updated for me to ā€œMaxā€, so we just wait for the Naim app to get an update out

As has been discussed in lots of other threads, you wonā€™t get Max quality on Naim equipment via Tidal Connect or from the Naim app until Naim release a firmware update to support it. In the meantime there are workarounds involving Bubble UPnP, mconnect etc.

mConnect Lite (free) works for me, however I found that although my Artist tracks had an M next to them, they didnā€™t play above 16bit. Then I tried Taylor Swift which worked. I expect that the M may mean itā€™s either HiRes Flac, or MQA, and so it may take a while for them to convert all MQA music over (if thatā€™s their intent)