Tidal vs Qobuz yet again

You can convert your Hires FLAC to WAV in your store thus eliminating transcoding. :slightly_smiling_face:

soundiiz dot com

Can I? I must check that out. Cheers. But, I can’t see anything in the menu about that….

I don’t think that’s possible on the Core

1 Like

Roon sends everything to the streamer via its RAAT protocol which is essentially raw PCM. The FLAC unpacking is all done in the Roon Core.

All this is understandable, but audirvana sounds better than roon, I think only because flac converts to wav. When I use my files on nas, they sound better (especially wav) than qobuz / tidal over roon, but that difference is very small with audirvana (tidal / qobuz) / nas.

It’s not, but as these are downloads you can hook up a third party converter and use that.

What else would it be? Everything I ever read about RAAT says that it is.

I guess I’m out of this thread

Not at all in my experience lossless files all sound the same wether they are flac, alac, wav or aiff. Your completely wrong about Roon as it sends LPCM to the DAC which is the native format DACs support this is done at the core. WAV still has to be converted at the streamer side to LPCM.

2 Likes

When I had my 300DR installed on Friday my dealer happened to mention they prefer Qobuz (over Tidal) if streaming in a dem, for sound Quality.

G

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.