Time for a One-box?

I had a full 500- level system with two Fraim stacks (picture in another thread), which I thought would be a final system; sound/enjoyment was great. Life threw us a curve ball and major downsizing was required.
A Nova has replaced that system. It’s an excellent one-box solution that I can happily live with. It takes about a month for the system to settle down when new.
I kept my SL speaker cables and PMC Fact 12s from the old system. The Nova does a fair job driving the Fact 12s, which are not an easy load. I will downsize the speakers in time.
If you can wait to audition one of the new-to-be-announced products with a set of active speakers, you will be able to decide which solution is right for you.

7 Likes

I have systems around the house ranging from an active 14-box monster, through a Linn source + Naim integrated 2nd system, all the way to a couple of Linn DSM-based 1-box systems. I’ve also had to live with that 2nd system as my main system for about a year once.

That one was definitely enough, though I’m happy to have access to better.

Having heard the likes of the Nova (I chose the Linn setup for the lifestyle system over those), I think I would start longing for an upgrade shortly afterwards.

But without an interconnect how does the signal get to the ATCs?

If one box will still go on a rack, you won’t save any floor space. I’d also ask whether the cables are currently causing a problem? Are they being constantly fiddled with or in a part if the room where they are on display? If the answer to both those questions is “no”, I’d again question downsizing. There will be a performance hit.

Downsizing has, without a doubt, an allure. But to many it’s a “because I can” situation rather than “because I should”.

For ever delighted Uniti owner, there are two (it feels like) who then added a power amp and then a dedicated source and preamp, taking them back to where they started.

The big one box success stories are the new systems; the downsizing of office systems etc. The main system to one box doesn’t seem to last. Of course there are exceptions and they’ll all chip in now to tell me I’m wrong :wink:

2 Likes

This topic turns up so often that it is easy to imagine that posts originate with the Nova marketing department…

Before doing anything, it is worth considering how much the last ounce on SQ matters to you.

To some musician friends (and others), the answer is ‘Not much’, because they get plenty of focused and analytical listening done while working/ playing, and don’t turn up the hi-fi of an evening anyway. To me, I need all the help I can get to hear what is going on in the music, but there is no virtue or smugness in that position - it is just a case of honest review of the job I want done.

I have compared Atom , Nova, 82/HC/250 and 52/SC/300DR in the last 2 years - in the same and different houses. Speakers still in use in one place or another are B&W 804 D3s, Neat Xplorers, Shahinian Compasses, Neat Iota Alphas and Linn Keilidhs. That’s a big range.

Can every listener ‘tell the difference’? To the surprise of some, unequivocally yes.
Do we all agree which is best/ worst for SQ? More surprisingly, yes.
Has that persuaded anyone that we would all aim at 52/SC/300DR in every system if only the cash were available? No.

The Nova is the best one-box I have heard. If you are hoping that you can go from what you have to a Nova without noticing a difference in SQ, I expect you’ll be disappointed - I hoped to do that in my holiday house but just couldn’t. However, it may be heresy to type it, but for many here, maximising SQ really isn’t the only thing they want - no shame in that, surely?

13 Likes

It is easy, and more domestically acceptable (to me - my wife is very tolerant), to have a Nova on a shelf supported by an arrangement that is similar to a rack without compromising the sound. As for cables, a full fat Powerline and WH Phantoms do a fine job. Sorted!

1 Like

The differences will be small. Noticeable, but small. In my experience after a bit of time passes you just adapt and enjoy the one box system in the same way you enjoyed your last.

6 Likes

Interesting how one may see only one of these two perspectives as a marketing plot when both might come from the (same ?) marketing departments?

1 Like

To me, it all depends on one’s priorities.

A few decades ago, I said to myself that I would never drive an automatic and forever drive a manual stick shift. Fast forward to the present, and I would never drive a stick shift. I still recognize the advantages and thrill of a stick shift though.

Same with audio, a few decades ago, I only stuck with separate pre / power amp combos plus a separate phonostage. I only used a heavily tricked out turntable as I said I would never go digital.

Now I use an XS3 + ND5XS2 and could never be happier. I still recognize that separates and or a separate PSU could provide better SQ, but given my current priorities, my two box system is enough for me and as of now, this is already end game for me.

5 Likes

Thank you all for your feedback. The consensus seems to be that even the latest and greatest one box or integrated would not match the sound quality of my 30 year old, mainly entry level separates. And sound quality is the most important factor for me at the moment. Since I’ve finished the cleaning and put everything back together anyway, I’ll stick with what I have and worry about it in a year’s time when I have to do it all over again.

5 Likes

If they do, I’ve missed the payments …

I’m very happy, the Nova does the amplification, the streaming and the DAC . As I said before with one dodgy knee, one cataract and a few other things , simplification and lightness are the order of the day.

It is a balance , if I was starting again from scratch it would be a Star and very careful pairing of the speakers - but I’m not and I am as happy with this set up than I was with my three box Olive and my five box Classic

7 Likes

Surely one box would be a Mu-So? Everything solved and domestic harmony at maximum, how would you like to use the brownie points earned?

2 Likes

I went 4 pack active to a Muso, Atom and Nova in a few months and then stopped.
Note the dust and cleaning is always an issue, damn Fraim is worse than my old Mana racks.

2 Likes

I traded my Naim gear (52, 135’s, cds11/XPS, Supercap, and SBLs). Now I have an SN3 and Nd5xs2 coupled with a pair of Tannoy DC10A speakers. They sound astounding! Sometimes less is more!

4 Likes

It’s certainly less fussy and consistent. With greater fidelity comes greater sensitivity to everything else like set up and cable dressing. You can’t have one without the other.

I didn’t go to a one box but did put 8 Naim boxes in storage a few years ago and got a simple DAC and integrated amp and very carefully matched speakers. The simple accessibility of this system and consistency of performance is a winner. I’d not give up the high performance Naim (it’s coming out again in June), but which system gets pride of placement in the living room is undecided.

4 Likes

All the cabling all the boxes and all the clutter is worth it, it’s what separates us from those folk on Facebook tik tock etc, most of us love those boxes and all they deliver. I’d keep it all.

My bet is if you got rid of them within a year or so you’ll be kicking yourself.

5 Likes

I went from a multibox setup to a Uniti a number of years ago - I loved the convenience factor of one remote (Previously I had a mix of different manufacturers kit). A happy other half with one switch and one remote - this has slipped back to some extent with an AV amp (L&R still go thru the Naim), and I did add on a Planar 1, which has since become an RP8 - streamed/digital is all very well but it genuinely doesn’t sound like vinyl, which still sounds more exciting to me. Moral of the tale, even if occassional vinyl use will you miss it …? Otherwise I’ve not looked back. That said, for me the Naim was a step up from virtually every component of my previous multi-box setup.

1 Like

I only wish they had a price matching streamer for SN3, with a colour screen and all.

I can suggest (as mentioned above) the Atom HE - one that is in fact cheaper but sounds like a matching one or better with the SN3.

Yeees, there are ways, but using Atom which is a thing in itself (not to mention a different form factor) just for streaming looks like a forced compromise to me. Something like NDX 2 but for half the price would work for me (or an ND5 XS 2 with a screen).