Time for room treatment I think

Thanks I’ll have a look at the article later.

You’re clearly more comfortable with software than I am.

It does seem to me that the concept of being able to tune your music system to your room, taste and condition of your ears is something that modern digital systems ought to strive for.

You can think of the Roon Core a bit as if you had the Tidal server in your home (and have control over it), instead of on Tidal’s premises. Apart from that you have an app to control and and a streamer to play, just like when using the Naim app with Tidal

Only because you lose bass

1 Like

Hi Pete

The “circular foam bits” are indeed cut from plumbing pipe insulation. Keeping all cables off the floor has a small but positive effect on the sound IMO. More open I’d say.

The speaker cables are Chord Music. If you prefer to listen to a slightly less grainy and tense sound with more texture without effecting timing then they are better than Superlumina which is still very good of course. It’s a personal preference thing but I’d say that going from SL full loom to Chord Music is similar in degree and character to going from 282 to 252 and as you may know there are members who prefer the former.

Rob

2 Likes

Well put…thanks…you could add all you need then is a basic nas drive so that all your music can be stored…like a Western Digital wdmycloud…they are not expensive…

Yes, Vicoustic produces very well designed products. I have 4 of those “Super Bass Extrem”.

Artnovion is also a company to consider.

Their “Sub Bass” bass traps are tunable to the frequency you need to hit. Worth checking!

My listening room :
The Listening Room Reality - #879 by Thomas

1 Like

Yes, the Vicoustic VicTotem Ultra VMT is a nice product. I didn’t try it, but they bought a lot of Vicoustic products. They’re expensive, but you get what you paid for.

ArtVonion also has free-standing units, and they are tunable, which is nice to have.

True, though only if locally stored music is of interest, I don’t know if JohnC2 wants this. With a Nucleus or NUC, a basic external USB drive would work, or an internal disk.

Generally it works better if the disk with the music storage is directly attached to the Roon Core, and a separate NAS is used for backup, instead of having the Core read the music from the NAS

I came across Ashwood Acoustic panels - they are doing an offer for 4no 1200x600x50 panels presently. On the face of if they look to represent good value for money?

Really excited for you. Bet you can’t wait to set it all up. Thanks for all your help answering my questions

1 Like

I saw the allmans back in the day
no hifi can capture their sound exactly
so all hifi is a compromise
smaller speakers let you hear the music without buying magical boards and foam

Whilst I agree that, for me a system simply isn’t worth it is the bass is missing or significantly curtailed - no proper bass in music that should have it takes the illusion of reality and sometimes the emotion out of the music. Of course some music doesn’t have low bas, or much bass at all, so if I were to only listen to that, small speakers might sound good, but that is only a small proportion of the music to which I listen.

1 Like

if it dont sound right
its usually the speakers
dealers know this
so demo till you get it right
rather than trying to make speakers work
by adding panels and foam
aint no fool like a hifi fool

Sadly I think the room is the elephant in the room, as it were, in terms of achieving best possible sound quality from a system, and that is not just bass by any means - yet is seems largely neglected.

1 Like

its not complicated I had Art speakers so big you could bury me in one of the boxes
but they sounded bad
plugged in my Ls 3 s wonderful again

any system is a compromise
but if it sounds good its good

I fully agree the speakers have to be good. But to me speakers without bass, or with significantly curtailed bass, simply can’t sound good because they remove an often key part of the music. Of course to others the bass is not important, and it even seems that some people positively dislike hearing it, in which case their quest for speakers is much simplified (and cheaper). But as I intimated, bass absolutely is not the only part of the spectrum where the room can have an adverse effect on sound quality.

1 Like

Looks like a great solution. I’m keen to try new cable but it’s very difficult to get a demo with my system. I’d need 3 pairs of 4.5m length - eyewatering cost in relation to your Chord Music cables :open_mouth: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Indeed. You could give Acoustica a call and see what deal they are willing to do for you :wink:. The cables that I can’t mention seem to provide the biggest uplift with the ICs next and then speaker cable. But all significant!

Hi again.

So I have opted for the roon free trial with the software running on my Mac and playing from my iPad which is all working okay on today’s latest update.

Have started with the parametric EQ and set one low shelf at 55hz -10db which makes a small improvement.

I can’t see anything on the Roon site about the use of additional low shelves And whento use them and the high pass filter, and in particular how they interact. I’d like to understand a bit more before I use too many filters.

Just wondered if you knew where any useful information and guide to users might be found. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Check the Roon forum.
search for :
" A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon "