Time for room treatment I think

Roon contains very effective and powerful DSP software, you are correct other than that you would need a box… I am sure others may be able to help. Also if you are using Roon it only fixes digitally streamed information … your turntable… would remain as is…

I watched that the other day too. I wonder if DSP integrated into amplification is going to become much more common. That Lyngdorf solution looks simple, neat and well thought out.

1 Like

Any help
https://firebasestorage.googleapis.com/v0/b/vicoustic-website.appspot.com/o/white-papers%2Fhiend-room%2Fdocs%2FWP_Hi-End-201904-WEB.pdf?alt=media&token=f315a14d-896e-44a7-9e42-88acce71bcbc

Smaller speakers will help with room issues
demo some
room treatment can involve some magical thinking

Mike

Not sure room treatment involves magical thinking.
Unless the microphone I used to measure my room is a wand.
Which makes me a wizard :mage: :smiley:

Thanks but I still don’t get how Roon works and their website doesn’t help much.

My system chain is router, streamer, amp, speakers.

My iMac computer (in a different room) and iPad are connected to the same network. Does the software sit on the Mac if I don’t need a dedicated black box like the one Roon makes?

So does roon change what comes out of the NDX2 streamer or somehow filter it en route to the speakers

The software for the Roon Core can run on a Mac, Windows or Linux PC/laptop or other kind of computer, or a dedicated appliance like the Roon Nucleus (or equivalent to the Nucleus can use a generic Intel NUC mini PC).

You control the Roon Core from an app on a mobile device or laptop etc. The Core streams to the NDX2, and this is where the DSP happens

I thought this explains it quite comprehensibly:

1 Like

Yes interesting thanks

Hi Cohen are the grey circular foam bits on the speaker cable plumbing insulation and do they work?
What speaker cable are you using?

Pete

Thanks I’ll have a look at the article later.

You’re clearly more comfortable with software than I am.

It does seem to me that the concept of being able to tune your music system to your room, taste and condition of your ears is something that modern digital systems ought to strive for.

You can think of the Roon Core a bit as if you had the Tidal server in your home (and have control over it), instead of on Tidal’s premises. Apart from that you have an app to control and and a streamer to play, just like when using the Naim app with Tidal

Only because you lose bass

1 Like

Hi Pete

The “circular foam bits” are indeed cut from plumbing pipe insulation. Keeping all cables off the floor has a small but positive effect on the sound IMO. More open I’d say.

The speaker cables are Chord Music. If you prefer to listen to a slightly less grainy and tense sound with more texture without effecting timing then they are better than Superlumina which is still very good of course. It’s a personal preference thing but I’d say that going from SL full loom to Chord Music is similar in degree and character to going from 282 to 252 and as you may know there are members who prefer the former.

Rob

2 Likes

Well put…thanks…you could add all you need then is a basic nas drive so that all your music can be stored…like a Western Digital wdmycloud…they are not expensive…

Yes, Vicoustic produces very well designed products. I have 4 of those “Super Bass Extrem”.

Artnovion is also a company to consider.

Their “Sub Bass” bass traps are tunable to the frequency you need to hit. Worth checking!

My listening room :
The Listening Room Reality - #879 by Thomas

1 Like

Yes, the Vicoustic VicTotem Ultra VMT is a nice product. I didn’t try it, but they bought a lot of Vicoustic products. They’re expensive, but you get what you paid for.

ArtVonion also has free-standing units, and they are tunable, which is nice to have.

True, though only if locally stored music is of interest, I don’t know if JohnC2 wants this. With a Nucleus or NUC, a basic external USB drive would work, or an internal disk.

Generally it works better if the disk with the music storage is directly attached to the Roon Core, and a separate NAS is used for backup, instead of having the Core read the music from the NAS

I came across Ashwood Acoustic panels - they are doing an offer for 4no 1200x600x50 panels presently. On the face of if they look to represent good value for money?

Really excited for you. Bet you can’t wait to set it all up. Thanks for all your help answering my questions

1 Like

I saw the allmans back in the day
no hifi can capture their sound exactly
so all hifi is a compromise
smaller speakers let you hear the music without buying magical boards and foam