Time to service, how to know?

Maybe it all needs a bit of time run in and settle down?

My previous 300 was a 2005 build so probably near or past the point of needing a service. I was going to get it DR’d at the same time but was always put off by not having any music or AV while it was being done so I ended up buying a fairly recent (and immaculate) 300DR and selling my 300, with the cost difference to change being identical to a service & DR.

The 300DR is definitely a step (not earth shattering) but I do sometimes wonder what my old 300 would’ve sounded like after a service.

I know the new owner was surprised at how big a step it was over his 250DR! I did warn him but it also tells me that even after 14 years, it’s not a given that the boxes need servicing.

1 Like

Yes, my Hicap and power amp (110) were serviced about 5 years ago, so good for another 20 years at least. :wink:
I am still trying to decide whether to have the 72 done or not. For the first time in years I am in a position to do some upgrades; if I’m not going to keep it, I might just sell it as is.

A ‘Service’ is about maintaining the original performance, it will degrade slowly (unless a capacitor fails on the regulation part of a power amp) so may still be better that a lower spec amp.
The only downside of servicing is you are without music for the time it is away.

Yep, you won’t get the service cost back IME.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.