Tinnitus....anyone else?

My own posts do not refer to noise induced hearing loss at all. I was writing far more generally.

As it happens I do have tinnitus and have done for forty years or more. It wasn’t noise-induced at all.

Same here David - in fact I’m sure it’s heredity - my mother had it

Why - who knows

But the brain compensates to a degree

I have had Tinnitus for 35yrs and participated in a Hospital Trial attempting to find cures. Where the noise induced version is final regarding the actual damage can not regenerate
the other Medical type Tinnitus is some times treatable so some hope versus none, i do not know if things a person can do which can effect the level up and down in the noise induced version apply in any way to other versions. It is disapointing after so long nothing has worked for you. A major problem is Medical Staff do not have the problem and cant really imagine it so have no way to know what EXACTLY the indivdual is experienceing this means it is almost impossible to test and measure scientificley. Many times with a few clues people can monitor it better them selves and this also gives importantly the feeling they have some measure of control over things.

Hi John, Yours is the worst type of Tinnitus both ears, single ear it is to one side leaving the mind relatively free. Both ears the sound becomes centre head where the mind lives providing you with no escape. You really need to work hard on this i am guessing doing the wrong things over time has worsened the condition have another look at my original post. Do not give up on the caffeine/tomatoe salad inclusions all though the noise needs to come down to a moderate level before you can notice the effect of self treatments. I went for months on decafinated tea.

Hi Richard, it may sound odd but I have managed to come to terms with my tinnitus which is why I understood what the lady I mentioned meant when she called it “her screaming friend” rather than something like “her screaming tormentor”.

I find it amazing that I am able to tolerate it because I also suffer from Misophonia. This is the point where a sensible sufferer does not mention what noises trigger the negative responses because there’s always one idiot that will immediately think it hilarious to see what happens if they trigger the response…not that this can happen on a forum of course…

I’m also grateful that I can live with my screaming friend because it drove my great uncle to suicide. Thinking back, it was with him that I first started shooting shotguns without hearing protection when my elder brother and I used to spend the 6 weeks summer holidays with him and my great aunt from when I was 8 until my early teens.

2 Likes

I’ve had tinnitus as far back as i can remember. A few years ago my right ear was completely blocked and i went to the doctors and he said that he didn’t like to syringe ears to people who have tinnitus. I had to wait over a month to see a nurse and rather suffer that long wait i bought my own syringe kit, eventually i got that ear unblocked but now my tinnitus is louder.

I feel for you @Super. I have had my ears syringed a few time because I have very narrow ear canals so even a small build up of wax can cause problems. I’m can’t remember if my tinnitus increased because of the syringing but I’m going to try the micro-suction that @davidhendon mentioned and I’ll get it done before a build-up causes me problems again.

I just go to the local gp practice , the nurse performs the same procedure for free. You do need to pretreat with either olive oil or ear drops for a week or so before going to help soften it.

1 Like

Yes John it is difficult for me to appreciate how you managed to do this.
One of the Hospital attempts was to imagine/place your self somewhere else nice
and so remove away from the noise. I could not see how you could do this most of the time,
and as i had then both ears so centre head my mind /imagination was drowned out by the
noise. So it may have worked for mild single ear Tinnitus but they could not follow my reasoning this did not work for everybody and really did not work at all. Like i said trying to
treat it when you dont have it is flying blind.

Same for me, „my screaming friend“ describes it perfectly.
My tinnitus grow stronger over the years, now so strong that I can hardly enjoy listening to music anymore, as some high frequencies make the tinnitus scream louder.
It seems that stress is involved, as certain activities (e.g. certain sports) can lead to the following day without tinnitus.
Some hours of listening to music can result in a very loud tinnitus the net day.
The corona homeoffice situation made the tinnitus worse, I‘m afraid.
I think my tinnitus grew stronger together with teeth grinding in the night, maybe there is a relation, not sure.

1 Like

If the teeth grinding [ bruxism ] is associated with TMD - temporomandibular joint disorder, it can cause inflammation around the jaw hinge, usually on one side only, and this area is close enough to disturb the ear mechanisms. As well as tinnitus, vertigo and headaches can be other symptoms.

This is a really good thread to read. Thank you Neil1906. I have just had my hearing tested after having tinnitus for over 5 months. Explains why my balance control is set at 2 O’Clock theses days. My test showed a lack of sensitivity to higher frequencies in the right ear. Basically my righthand super-tweeter has gone ! and replaced with a constant ringinging in the background

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Just in the moment I wrote my comment here, it occured to me that teeth grinding and tinnitus could be related, should have a closer look into this…

Gum shield for a few nights to see?

Using gum shields for years now, could not sleep without.

Me too
The missus has a hell of a right hook in her sleep

5 Likes

Hi there is web site that allows you to install a notch filter in dedicated music files… the idea is to retrain your brain making everything louder compared to your noise spike … allegedly over time this helps reduce tinnitus… forgive me if this has already been mentioned…try going on your mobile and look for Tinnitus Notch Filter…

I was just wondering how many folks experience a constant high pitch buzzing sound from the ear(s) especially when in a quiet room. There’s no discomfort or anything, just a constant high pitch buzzing sound that’s present all the time especially when the surrounding gets really quiet. This high pitch sound became louder within these few years and I was wondering if there’s anything we can do about it other than limiting the exposure to high SPLs in prolonged sessions.

1 Like

Same here. For many years now (result of being an ex rock photographer). Not much you can do honestly except get used to it.

1 Like

Stress often give worse problems and from my own experience that is correct.