Titans 606s. Again

Ain’t that the truth! :smile:

I wonder if the 606s will work better with 2x250 rather than a 500!

2 Likes

How would that work (unless you went active) ?

I bet they do, if played active. :blush:

1 Like

I’d be interested in reading your results if you go down this route. I think all you need is a SNAXO 242 and another 250 if you don’t have one lying around. :grin:

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that Kudos was demonstrating a SN3/250 2 hicap DR’s and SNAXO 242 into the 606 to good effect

1 Like

Well I haven’t heard the 606’s, but anyone who has had their LP12 adjusted/serviced/upgraded @Cymbiosis in the last couple of years will probably be able to attest to just how well the 250’s work with the active 808’s (stunning).

2 Likes

You would need a hicap or Supercap for the Snaxo also. And two more runs of speaker cable of course. And more shelf space. :laughing: And an understanding family if you have to share the space.

1 Like

I can fully confirm that. I’m very happy with my current setup.

I use NAC 282 / SNAXO 242 / NAP 250DR x 2 / Supercap and I’m very pleased with the sound.

1 Like

Active is my preference and its cheaper!
Can’t say more here really :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
KR, Peter

5 Likes

It’s a shame I don’t have space for 3x250 instead of 1x500 with my 808s. Too many shelves :man_shrugging: Also having had 2x300 on SL2s I was a bit reluctant to try 250s - though as I say I just don’t have the space to go for three stacks

Returning to the 606s, I have only had one dem so not enough really but I thought the 707s improved amazingly with 2x300s rather than one and I preferred them to 606s with 2x300 but I understand that 707s bass is often too much for the room

I demoed an NDX2, 282 and 250 with the 606s and was blown away. At the same time I tried the SuperA20s (had more detail but less musical) and 505s (more musical but less detail). The 606s were both musical and detailed to my ears.

My system at home is an NDX2, 282 and 200 (non DR). As soon as I hooked up the 606, I had the big smile across my face. Music just sounds “real”, like it’s been played in the same room. Drums and pianos in particular.

However, now I’m more used to the sound, there is room for improvement. My speakers need moving further apart, to give me a better soundstage, but even if I did that, the base control is not perfect. Next step is a Hicap, then demo a 250 vs 300? The 606s are so transparent though, I feel I could throw any Naim kit at them and they would deliver…

Still resisting slotting the 555 in. Oh well. Let me go do it now.

What didn’t you like about the Fact.12’s? I’m in the tyre-kicking phase of looking for some new speakers, and the Fact.12 is on the list (along with the Totem Element Metal). That said, it doesn’t appear that the NZ/Australian distributor is bringing the 8’s or 12’s into the country. And there isn’t a Kudos importer in NZ either :frowning:

Cymbiosis was able to help me get the kudos when there was no distrIbutor in the US…

1 Like

We’re talking three more boxes? An extra nap250, a snaxo and a Hicap for the Snaxo?

It looks like the first sentence from my post was on point. Predictability is always reassuring.

The OP asked if the Kudos 606 at the end of a ND555/552/500 system is overkill. I posted my view on it, also in a wider context of the same phenomenon on this forum. That’s what I tried to do at least. Reading your response I wonder who is singling out for criticism?

My speakers are at the upper end of what my current system is capable of. This was exactly what I aimed for as the speakers will be with me longer than the boxes. Either via upgrades or a change of brand in the future. In the meantime, if you find yourself in the neighbourhood you’re more than welcome to have a listen to this ‘likely less satisfying musical experience’. :slightly_smiling_face:

@frenchrooster - the jury is still out on a 250DR. I auditioned it with my previous speakers (SF Guarneri’s). That ended up in kind of a draw with the 200 with plusses and minuses for both. While clearly a better amp, the presentation and sonic signature of the 250 was not a fully convincing match in the end. Now with the Vivids, I’m pretty sure the tables are turned so this will likely be my next upgrade.

1 Like

Hi Jono, I already had Fact 8’s and really liked them. I had the opportunity to buy some really well looked after Fact 12’s and did so and was unable to have a home demo because of logistics. I bought them and although they were reaaly good, in my listening room of 6x4 metres they were just too bass heavy even at their lowest setting so some music was not really pleasant to listen to at all. As a result I tried 606’s and Dynaudio Confidence 20 at home and chose the Titans as they really controlled the bass and suited my room.
The Fact 12’s are really good speakers and the only reason they went was due to room acoustics. I think that with auditioning new products especially speakers a home demo is a must. It is the only way to know if they will work with your system and room.
Good luck in your search.

Yes, don’t hurry. The pleasure is to build a system by steps and enjoy each step. Those who can buy a Statement system from the scratch have probably less pleasure than us. We can dream, it’s the part of the hobby.

3 Likes

I had exactly the same experience with the Fact 12’s as @AngloWelsh. I’ve always had PMC’s GBi’s then FBI’s and finally 20.26’s. When it was time to upgrade Fact 12’s seemed the logical choice.

Myself and the dealer played with positioning and the LF switch setting all to no avail. They were just too bass heavy.

I tried the Titan 707’s and they were great on demo and I’m currently running in my own pair :grinning:

1 Like