Titles

I was trying to order a replacement Waitrose ‘loyalty card’. Quite amusing.

At least the list is a bit more comprehensive than some.

How often do you see these options these days? :grin:

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 13.32.33

Typically I have no idea what Mx is for either. Master?

2 Likes

Where is the option for people who do not identify as either sex?

1 Like

Is that what the Mx is for???

They should have Other perhaps.

Completed a work-related survey in which there was a non-binary gender option - I often just answer ‘Prefer Not To Say’ on surveys, same goes for age.

Really don’t know, just an observation.
Could be.

Here we go:

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 13.44.50

Quite a few of those titles are gender neutral when you think about it!

Cool, thanks.
I’m aware alot of those suggested titles are gender neutral, but not everyone is a Dr or Professor so just a wild shot in the dark guess really.

Know now.

1 Like

Just an observation too, I’d never really thought about it before.

1 Like

But no Count.

7 Likes

Console yourself with:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

We do get a few Lords and Ladies, who as far as we can tell, ain’t! Just do it for the hoot.
Only had one Mx so far.
Quite a few Others…

Also get a couple of ‘…’ instead of a name. And occasionally ‘xxx’…makes calling the names out fun.

1 Like

….and naturally the lost card turned up a few hours later - after almost a fortnight hunting for it!

1 Like

That’s funny…

1 Like

As a youngster I rather liked Master.

1 Like

I always found that “Master Hendon” preceded something that boiled down to: “No, you aren’t old enough yet.”

2 Likes

Hon and Rt Hon are conspicuous by their absence.
As is HRH, though that os understandable as I doubt mant entitled to such an honorific would be completing such a form…

1 Like

Also no ‘Darth” (Dark lord)

I never liked Master because it was an implied inferior status throu lack of adequate years.
As a young man I did rather like the esq my name (if I recall correctly, only applicable without an honorific preceding the name) - however these days it seem pretentious.
Meanwhile, with the exception of a schoolteacher speaking to schoolchildren, it irritates me no end when someone, not being a surgeon, upon being asked their name answers “Mr xxxx”: Mr is not part of their name! (Well, I’ve not yet come across anyone with that as their first name!)

I grew up in an environment where the use and usage of titles was important. Looking backwards, it did harm me. I was in my thirties when I got over it.

It ultimately made me anti authoritarian.

When a title is used, I still get steam out of my ears and nose and I consequently call the subject of my wrath by ones first name.

The local Rev can have it, but the people around the Rev find it disrespectful.

1 Like

I think that there was a time, not that long ago, when adult people expected to be called Mr or Mrs by people they didn’t know well or even people they did know quite well. It was normal.

But I really much prefer David these days (or Dave to people who have know me since my Dave days, 40 years ago). However if someone wants to say Mr Hendon, that’s fine. If nothing else, it makes me feel younger when I feel slightly outraged! (I may be over 70 but I’m not old enough to be a Mr!)

1 Like

I’m afraid I always make a point of not using “Doctor” when talking to my local surgery. They almost invariably come back, “Well, Doctor ___ will…”, with Doctor pronounced in “double-bold and italics”!