Titles

I’m baffled as to why you would go out of your way to disrespect your GPs.
If you have such a low opinion of them why on earth do you continue to entrust them with your health care?

Indeed, and in some places still the case, and I actually prefer that upon someone first introducing themselves at any professional level (professional in its widest sense, including sales people), and dislike over-familiarity from someone I don’t know at all. My objection was different, being where people calling themselves Mr, as in Q:“What’s your name?” A: “Mr Xxxx”, or introducing themselves: “Hello, I’m Mr Xxxx”.

Fine balance between using a title to show respect and being passively deferential.

When I started in my last job, as head of the unit, staff asked if I was Dr or Mr, and how I preferred to be called (my predecessor had insisted in being called Dr XXX). I think they were a combination of taken aback and relieved when I said just call me by my first name.

2 Likes

Dr XXX might have been a difficult act to follow :rofl:

2 Likes

I once selected Admiral (or was it Archbishop? can’t remember) as my title for one of those signup forms, thinking that the inevitable junk mail that would follow would give me a little chortle every time. I was very slightly disappointed that no such stream of junk mail ever materialised.

1 Like

Would you deliberately refuse to use the accepted title when addressing a clergyman at work (Reverend, Father, Bishop etc), or perhaps a member of the judiciary in Court (Your Honour, Your Worship) amongst others?

Bruce

2 Likes

The Doctor thing is quite interesting. A doctor is called Doctor because they are a Doctor and it’s not a title per se, or at least that’s how I understand it. I do use my Doctor and quite often medical doctors have said ‘ah, you’re a proper Doctor’ which always raises a chuckle. I call my doctor Elaine when we meet, and she calls me by my first name.

Many years ago I registered with John Lewis as Marquis - back then I was a Mr. I turned up to pick up an item and felt a right chump. I’ve never done it again.

When I was in hospital a couple of years ago for bowel cancer surgery you did not refer to the surgeon as Doctor but by Mr then his surname as he was a surgeon and not a Doctor which I found rather strange.

I could never remember his name so I refered to him as Mac The Knife which he found highly amusing.

The casual approach of modern times was evident yesterday when I had a test drive of a possible new car. The Salesperson (who appeared about 12) obviously struggled with what to call me. He settled on ‘Dr Bruce’.

Bruce

1 Like

I can’t see much evidence that this proposal ever took off.

Reverting to Mr/Miss after becoming a Dr is a big badge of honour for them.

That was 2005. Not caught on I am certain!

I was always a bit surprised my dentist referred to himself as Doctor. He did not have a post grad (or medical) degree. Apparently it is allowed. Helps boost their bills no doubt!

Bruce

1 Like

Yes, 2005.

I always thought introducing that was a bit of a crafty one and potentially misleading/confusing, but there you go.

I (try to) insist on former pupils calling me Mark from the moment they leave school but it takes most of them at least 6 months before they can bring themselves to do it even in an email, let alone face to face. I’ve had so many communications from 19-year olds which start ‘Hi Sir!’, it’s quite amusing.

They understand that teachers have first names, they almost invariably know what they are but, for some really odd psychological quirk, all but the most confident really struggle to use them. I find it endearing.

Mark

1 Like

I take a broadly similar approach except that I don’t use my Dr in medical contexts as I find it tends to cause confusion. I have always found it best to avoid anything which overstates your competence or knowledge as people tend to explain things to you more clearly.
One thing that does annoy me is when people say “PhD - oh you are not a proper doctor!”.

My wife teaches in an FE college and it takes her a while to get her students to stop calling her Miss and use her first name. Those who are fresh out of school find this a bit odd at first, but that’s nothing compared to their embarrassment when things get a bit stressful and they accidentally call her Mum.

2 Likes

I am nearly always referred to as ‘Sir’ and hardly ever Mr……. The class is lost for a while when ‘Dad’ makes an expected appearance and even longer with ‘Mum’. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, the use of titles in institutions can be a negative influence.

In universities, there is a huge emphasis on who has attained which rung on the titles ladder.

But people usually make Professor because they conform and ‘play the game’ and obey the norms of the discipline, and focus on generating income.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.