To 222 or not 222?

That is the solution and flexibility I was looking for - that is a perfect solution. The NVC TT would also be flexible for upgrades to the pre later up the line!

Thanks - I missed that on the other thread!

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome, in the thousands of posts I somehow managed to specifically remember that one. It also came out of a discussion of a lower tier power supply in the form of the NPX TT rebranded as the NPX 200 and at around half the price of the NPX 300.

2 Likes

SuperLine is thought to be ending soon?
With NVC-TT assumed to be near replacement, within New Classic, expected maybe June.

Which leads to thoughts about which is better / best, if we have a choice (for a short period)?
In this regards, have you any thoughts or experience, which might be interesting to share?

KR
R

Our 252 canā€™t power the NVC 3xx.

So for us a Superline, at fire sale price when discontinued, will do!

3 Likes

Doesnā€™t the 222 use a dedicated rail from the external PSU to power the AUX input? Might be a question for Steve on the other thread. If so, and I suspect it might, then the 300 PSU would be upgrading any connected device directly.

The explanation of how the intelligent halves of the PSU work seemed to imply this might be the case but I donā€™t think it was spelled out explicitly.

2 Likes

Hmm, not sure it can be a direct feed.

8 pin DIN is feeding 18V, which isnā€™t provided by NPX (22V analogue).

Looking at the NSC222 case internals there are wires to DIN from a small board at front of case which looks suspiciously like regulators. 18v step down from 22?

2 Likes

Leave one for me please :wink:

2 Likes

There wonā€™t be a lot on the market :slightly_frowning_face:

Many dealers donā€™t hold Superline due to low demand, the used market has a few.

2 Likes

Mostly joking :slight_smile: Very happy with my current phono stage. Idle minds though :smiley:

Maybe itā€™s a good idea to replace my NAC N272 / XP5XS combo with the NSC 222 / NPX300 combo if it really sounds betterā€¦(time will tell).
But what I do not like is that you cannot buy the new NSC222 without the internal power supply if you are going to use it with an NPX300 external power supply.
In my opinion this is a waste of money and materialsā€¦

Making different variations is likely to cost more.

2 Likes

It would really make no sense if a manufacturer forces you to use an additional power supply at this price point. Most people will use the nsc222 without the PSU, and some will think about an upgrade further down the road.

3 Likes

Naim has never offered versions of boxes with omitted internal power supplies, Iā€™m not sure why one would expect them to now. You can use the product as is, or you can upgrade it with a PS at any time (NDX, NDX2, ND5XS, etc and now NSC222).

4 Likes

If you know you will never use the internal power supply, why install it??? Costly materials spoilt.

1 Like

This was already explained to you.

4 Likes

Where do you stop?
Phono stage.
Ethernet
Display
Wifi
ā€¦

1 Like

Agreed - and just to add to your list - the on board / separate dac preference that some have.

On a slightly practical /serious note, if it meant a model in two versions, I imagine there would be implication for the various certifications, electrical et al?

2 Likes

You never know they may eventually do a NSC 333 without a PSU at all but following historical logic, at this tier in the range, external PSUā€™s are very much an option rather than a necessity by design.
At Ā£5700 there are going to be design decisions made to fit the price point given the functionality covering a preamp, digital transport and DAC, IP networking, display, MM phonostage and so on.
What we should all be encouraged by is the fact Naim continue to invest in developing and releasing new products and still provide ongoing support and maintenance for practically everything theyā€™ve ever made.

5 Likes

It is a pertinent area of discussion though given the rapid development of some of the technologies. Back on my dream of a half size statement ā€˜500ā€™ system. Iā€™d love to see a box with power supplies, another box with the pre and replaceable boards for the streamer, dac, and phono circuits and the final box for the power amp. Three small vertical boxes that have on board capabilities for upgrading.

3 Likes

I advise you a wonderful system : NSC222 with outboard ps and additional dac , into SN3 integrated bypassed for its preamp. You will buy a redundant ps, a redundant dac and a redundant pre. :joy:

1 Like