To like or not like

The platform is Discourse. I am not aware that it is part of Amazon, but it could be I suppose. They are many different fora that use that platform.

I think Naim use AWS for the forum cloud infrastructure, so that is Amazon.

1 Like

I’ve never been able to fathom why some folk seem to have the urge to share with the world their every waking moment so have never been seduced by most social media.

This forum is a bit like a chat with acquaintances in the pub.

A few years ago I needed a Facebook account for a community project I was involved with. I got hacked by some Russian offering certain services so promptly deleted the account.

Never again.

4 Likes

Absolutely!
And the :heart_decoration: button is like :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

I do not have a Face Book account and besides a couple of photography forums I have not joined any social media over the years.

My experience is that they are built to gather information on people. In the beginning to track and store information to sell to third parties. Later to provide stories and information to members to influence their behavior.

It is all about the money.

No problem with likes on this forum. I have certainly learned a lot from members of this forum regarding music and hi-fi gear.

4 Likes

Indeed - and just like the pub sometimes you can end up arguing without an obvious reason why and sometimes agreeing without realising it!

2 Likes

One more beer?

2 Likes

@Pete_the_painter

I regard the like button as an acknowledgement that you find the posters comments funny, well made, to be of interest/assistance etc, etc, & if you do, it’s polite to let them know.

11 Likes

Or as Amazon puts it re getting your first ‘Like badge’ :grin:

This badge is granted the first time you like a post using the heart button. Liking posts is a great way to let your fellow community members know that what they posted was interesting, useful, cool, or fun. Share the love!

2 Likes

Did you manage to keep her email address?

Asking for a friend.

5 Likes

Fear of missing out (FOMO) is a thing and it’s poisoning the minds of millions.

I use likes to confer agreement rather than having to make a post doing so. I know some folks are looking for more than that. I find it’s useful to regularly unplug from the internet. More so as I get older.

Yep. I suspect we’re mostly the wrong age group and demographic to worry about the use of the ‘like’ button on this particular forum. Leave it be.

3 Likes

As for ‘Likes’, I’ve only ever seen them as meaningful if used sparingly, as when something stands out as particularly meaningful to me, or a particularly helpful post, otherwise what’s the point? However @Pete_the_painter, I’m intrigued as to what it is that you heard that triggered you to start this thread!

Without availing yourself of theoffer?

But you don’t need Facebook to receive a variety of, erm interesting(?) offers from a variety of countries including Russia - all you need is an email address that you use widely.

You old dog, IB :wink:

1 Like

The memory of interminable security courses
back in the 70s has left me allergic to Russian women :grinning:

2 Likes

On the program (see original post) they discussed what a “like” triggers in an individual and how a positive action generally has a negative outcome. The research was mainly carried on Facebook but it made think about my behaviours and reaction. I still don’t know the answer and wondered how others felt about likes, there’s some like me who throw them out by the tens and there’s others that don’t use them at all.

I always thought it was polite to acknowledge a reply, something funny or a post you like by hitting the like button. Now I’m not quite sure.

Let’s not turn this (or other threads) into a where’s HH thread please.

2 Likes

I’ve edited and removed some posts here.

Although I usually never comment on such matters, it’s probably as good a time as any to draw a line under any speculation and offer some clarity; I’ve been in touch with Nigel (aka Hungryhalibut) and he has asked me to post on his behalf just to let you all know that he decided to leave the forum, and that this decision was entirely of his own choosing. As is forum policy for anyone who has more than 10 posts, all old posts remain but have been anonymised. He is, of course, free to re-join the forum at any time should he so wish. I’m sure I speak for us all when I say that we wish him well and hope to see him again sometime in the future.

As is the case with anybody who has left the forum, as they cannot respond I would ask all members to respect their decision and to refrain from discussing them further on the forum. Thanks.

13 Likes

Hi Richard, I feel in a way at least partly to blame for the melee that beset this particular thread, for which I sincerely apologise.

If someone wishes to open a thread about missing members please do so and let’s move on.

However if we can’t get back on topic think it’s better Richard shuts this down. Shame as I think the topic is worth the conversation.

2 Likes