To non-stick or not to non-stick thats the question

I really like viterous enamel coated roasting tins or even large pyrex trays for meat and casseroles. The vitreous enamel ones I have even work on my induction hob which can be handy. They often go a bit dull after dishwashing but it doesn’t affect performance.

In general most non-stick coated roasting pans I’ve used have been utterly useless with the coating peeling after a couple of uses - perhaps overheated and user error but for the most part just poor quality.

1 Like

Yes, but the bbc, isn’t that the company which produced Allo Allo?

1 Like

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Ardbeg, I am so glad you doscovered these. If you go back to my intial respinse to you, rhis is the thord sort of natural non-stick pans I referenced. Virtually indestructible. Enjoy.

2 Likes

I spotted a computer mouse on a on line store that claimed to have non-stick pads on the bottom. Not sure how useful that would be.

We’ve been trying some Greenpan pans without much success.

Their quality control seems really bad. 1st Saute pan was badly finished and had a gouge out of it, the second was better and is in use. This seems to perform well.

Ordered a grill pan, chips on the coating, loose handle, chunk out of the non stick finish. Ordered a replacement and that was worse with similar faults and flaws in the handle too. Returned and not getting another replacement.

I will buy the Lagostina. Because I am tired to change them every year.
Anyone tried ?

1 Like

Never heard of them! You French do seem to have a lot of quality pan manufacturers.
Nearly all our pans are now Le Creuset stainless. They claim their non-stick coatings are non-toxic, but I find uncoated stainless to be perfectly non-stick if well seasoned, and I can use metal utensils.
They work really well on an induction hob too. Even if mains gas was available to us, I wouldn’t go back to it.

Lagostina is made with stainless steel copper. Available on Amazon. But don’t think it’s possible to return after 14 days :rofl:

My only non-stick pan is a 24 cm Robert Welch, which I use for omelettes. Otherwise it’s a steel pan that I season with a high temperature oil, such as flax seed oil.

The chemistry of the seasoning process is interesting. It requires heating the pan to high temperatures with a film of oil. The oil polymerises thus protecting the surface of the pan. I repeat the exercise several times, often placing the pan in a cold oven that is going to be used for baking bread, so as it warms up the oil polymerises.

1 Like

I’ve never had any success in finding a quality wok for occasional use at home.
I use professional ones at work, some of which have been seasoned through several years until they get a hole !!
Although if left for a little while go rusty and need a good seeing to with a metal scorer.
Most ones available have some sort of questionable finish.

So, our induction hob is up and running. And taking a bit of getting used to after cooking on gas for 35 years.

One of my old pans is marked full induction and I liked using it so, after the magnet test, got some new saucepans and wok in same range. Hopeless. Christ knows what ‘full induction’ actually means, if anything, as they take an age to heat up on induction and then don’t seem to keep heat at all.

The frying pan and casserole style pans that came with hob are absolutely fine however, so I knew it must be the other pans simply not working.

Did lots of searching and it seems to me that lots of cookware is described as ‘induction safe’, ‘full induction’ etc., yet when you look at the construction of these and filter out the huge number of fake reviews, it seems most are hopeless for induction hobs.

I ordered some tri-ply saucepans, wok and small fryer from ProCook and, so far at least, they seem great. Nice weight and balance, great handles, quite nice aesthetics for pans and, most importantly, work very well on new hob I feel.

Still having to adjust to non-gas though!

I took to our induction hob the moment I first used it, so I’m a little surprised you’re having problems with yours. I found that pans either worked well, or not at all if they were non-ferrous metal. Maybe yours had just a very thin layer of steel in the base?
I also find it much more controllable than any gas hob I’ve used.

1 Like

Also, make sure that the base of the pan covers all (or most) of the induction ring. The small base of my wok means I can only use it on the smallest ring.

I started out many years ago with a combi gas and induction hob, two rings of each. I mostly used the induction rings and now use fully induction.