Top 5, Top 40 Chart Challenge

40 years ago, this was the Top 5 in the Top 40. I consider all of these songs classic singles.

1. Town Called Malice.

2. Golden Brown

3. Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

4. Maid of Orleans (The Waltz of Joan of Arc)

5. The Model/Computer Love

It’s hard to think of a Top 5 better than this, and I would be interested if anyone could come up with anything as good as this Top 5. So I can act knowingly to my friend who sent this to me.

After 1982 the singles charts deteriorated. Whilst albums released in 1989 were just as good as in 1982, the charts by that time were mainly awful.

4 Likes

In April 1964, a relatively unknown group from Liverpool, England had all the top 5 US singles…

1. Can’t Buy Me Love
  2. Twist & Shout
  3. She Loves You
  4. I Want to Hold Your Hand
  5. Please Please Me
7 Likes

Yeah but you wouldn’t have signed them up, apparently not noteworthy. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Wonderful. I actually remember thinking that at the time. I have a vivid recollection of being on a school bus - the radio was always on - discussing with friends how incredible it was to have Malice/Golden Brown at no 1 and 2. I always thought The Stranglers deserved top spot with that track. Funnily enough, I don’t recall what was 3 to 5. Wow, what a strong chart that was. We were spoilt!

Not too shabby…

11 Sept 1968

1. Hey Jude - Beatles

2. I’ve Gotta Get a Message to You – Bee Gees

3. Do it Again – Beach Boys

4. I Say a Little Prayer – Aretha Franklin

5. Hold Me Tight – Jonny Nash

7 Likes

July 69. Not shabby either.

1 Thunderclap Newman Something In The Air
2 Elvis Presley In The Ghetto
3 Amen Corner Hello Suzie
4 Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Women
5 Beatles The Ballad Of John & Yoko

7 Likes

I didn’t realise at the time that Thunderclap Newman was created by Pete Townsend to “show off” The Whos chauffer Speedy Keen. Townsend produced and played the bass guitar on the single.

3 Likes

July 19th. 1970.

In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

All Right Now - Free

The Wonder of You - Elvis Presley

Lola - The Kinks

Up Around The Bend - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Not bad at all.

14 Likes

As you say, Not bad at all.

A few years back my late wife was going shopping and pick of the pops from 1972 was on R2 was on. At no 3 was All The Young Dudes by Mott, 2 the Jean J by Bowie, Margaret was fascinated to find out what kept those of No 1, imagine the disillusionment - I wanna be your long haired lover by Little JO!

6 Likes

That is a great 5

I remember that so well I was waiting for my A level results and Mungo Jerry had played at the Hollywood festival (near Stoke, never heard of since)

1 Like

3 Likes

How wrong can you be. What a…

2 Likes

What a fun guy he would have been bet his kids would have left home as soon as possible. What a boring old fart.

3 Likes

On the other hand … … … and considering that 1971 is often lauded as a vintage year for music … … … there was this … … …

17th. June, 1971.

Middle of the Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.

Knock Three Times - Dawn.

I Did What I Did For Maria - Tony Christie.

Banner Man - Blue Mink.

I’m Gonna Run Away From You - Tami Lynn.

Oh dear. :astonished:

3 Likes

Yes, that just goes to show the charts for what they were (maybe still are?) - an indication of that week’s most purchased, which doesn’t necessarily have anything whatsoever to do with musical quality or artistic merit…

I have and still play from time to time 2 from your first list, enjoyed but didn’t buy another, don’t recall the other two but one was probably listenable, though I doubt the other. Your second list none. Funnily enough almist identical observations to your first list apply to @Collywobbles one from ‘69!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.