Tori Amos

Rick Beato, on Tori Amos’s debut album Little Earthquakes.

I still remember hearing Cornflake Girl, which was the single - and just like Rick - Going who - what - was THAT…???

(I bought the CD in HMV - and resolved never to buy from a physical shop again… But the CD was still great.)

Enjoy…

8 Likes

Hello IanRobertM - Big Tori Amos fan here. There is a very well produced live version of “Cornflake
Girl” available on YouTube.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that.

2 Likes

Crucify EP is stunning, her versions of Angie and Smells Like Teen Spirit, just wow, let alone how good her own stuff is, absolute legend live too.

1 Like

@IanRobertM ,
Isn’t CG from Under The Pink, her second album?

3 Likes

Her debut album was one of my favourite albums ever

2 Likes

Yes, you are right - and my memory is wrong… :confused:

It was definitely 1992 when I first heard Tori - I was still in Japan in 91.
Guess it was maybe China… Or Winter, that I heard…?

Either way - it worked - and it was/is a great album. Followed by lots of others.

I saw her live at Birmingham Symphony Hall, around 2005…? Just her, with a Piano and a several racks of Keyboards (which got changed between set halves). Plus a Drummer and a Guitarist/Bassist. Fabulous…

3 Likes

I WANT that… Off over to Discogs…!!!

1 Like

Please excuse me if you already know of this album that was released before her solo career (from 1988):

Wishing you a lovely day :relaxed:

2 Likes

Yes, aware of this album - but don’t own a copy…
Seems rather expensive, on Discogs… £25 plus… :confused:

1 Like

I saw her recently at the London Palladium absolutely mesmerising performance - worth seeing her live if the opportunity arises.

1 Like

That was her set up when I saw her in march

1 Like

Strange Little Girls is a great album full of covers - which I’m sure you know - the version of Slayers’ Raining Blood is superb and quite unexpected :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

This year…? Well, near perfection is difficult to improve on…!! I recall that the 2 set of keyboards were quite different from each other - one having a Hammond or similar…?

Yes Ian I saw her in March - here’s a clip from the show with the keyboards

1 Like

She is still going with those subdued colours I see… :astonished:

What I have never heard, in anyone else, is the ‘way’ she plays piano - and the sound she generates. OK, part of that is using a Bosendorfer, with its greater range - but its also her playing style. Fabulous…

[Many other really good musicians also have a particular playing style, of course.]

1 Like

Have seen her several times in the past, my ex was a huge fan. Back in the 90s we met her and managed to get a photo of them together. She was very nice.

2 Likes

I’ve been a fan of Tori for many years and she is one artist that delivers the goods and her albums just keeping on getting better. It was the first time that I’ve managed to see her live, I’ll make sure that I book next time she’s around … a great evening.

2 Likes

I have only seen her once - in Birmingham, at Symphony Hall, back in I think…2005…?

I have her Original Bootleg of the Hammersmith Apollo show, from 05 - which I think is from the same tour - or close to - The Original Bootlegs

On her most recent tour, she only played London… Booo… I decided not to go… :confused:

… and Manchester which is where it was convenient for me to go this time.
I’ve been lucky enough to see a lot of her UK shows, but the 7 Day Weekend tour at the RAH was truly brilliant - something to do we me loving the Pele album I guess that was being promoted on that tour.

2 Likes