Toslink Resolution on the Nova

I have an irregular room with 2m doors on three sides (one to patio), three windows and a fireplace. The speakers go where I’m allowed to put them more or less but there are good places and bad within short distances. No symmetry. The music sounds wonderful, which is all that matters.

I tried the M2Tech HiFace 2 but liked the Audiophilleo + PowerPower much more, especially as I got it preloved at half price from a HiFi Shop near St Andrews. Let me or @obsydian know if you go that way as there are choices on how to lay on the USB power, and I power off the Naim nDAC rear USB. It is fit and forget.

Phil

1 Like

I have set the Audio Midi controls for the toslink output to 24/192 but am sure the Nova doesn’t accept that as I get no sound. Setting the mac to24/96 works properly.
Thx all for the suggestions and Phil I will take you up on your offer if I go that direction.

You problem may well be that you are pushing the limits of what is technically possible. Officially the Toslink spec used to say up to 24/96, and in practice this was the case for most users. If you’re lucky it might just cope with 24/192 in some situations, and even just swapping cables sometimes achieves this, but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t. Electrical SPDIF is a little better at 24/192 max so this may be your best option.

Yes. That is option 2. In my previous post and I am pursuing that. Obviously it works as others have done it, the question is how much to spend on the breakout box.

Must echo the sounds sublime and the fit and and forget, out of sight.

I recently looked at the Innuos Phoenix, who advised the M2Tech in a 3 box guise non including all the extra cable drama and the extra cost for less function.

In the end it put me off the Innuos Phoenix as I feel the Audiophilleo at half the cost does more for less.

Now I just need to find the time to get back to the AP1 with Pure Power, sadly that means shipping it all the the USA as it all need reconfiguring.

My advice if you go the AP make sure it is with Pure Power, note I used to have the AP2 + Pure Power an issue meant thought swapping to the lone AP1 SE MK2.

Toslink has multiple types. Toslink Audio is limited to about 3Mb/s.

So if one optical transducer at either end uses the strict Toslink Audio certified units, 3Mbps is all you’ll get, hence 96/24.

I guess mine aren’t strict then. Auralic Aries G1 opt out -> Sysconcept Opt cable -> Chord Qutest opt in. 24/192 and DSD64 stable and solid, no hiccups. The Qutest data rate lights confirm the signal.
Note, this did fail to work (only 24/192) with a couple of different Audioquest optical cables, the cable matters as I earlier posted.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.