Tour de France 2019

Brute of a finish today too so opportunities abound for splits at the end.

Anyone know where Chris Boardman is this year … ITV4 coverage is just not the same without him.

He dropped out at the end of last year’s tour, a mix of having done the TdF as competitor & media commentator for long enough and his commitments in his role with Manchester transport creating walking & cycling networks in & around Gtr Manchester.

He Tweeted over the weekend how nice it was to sit back and watch it on tv at home. Fair play to the fellah but you’re right, he was an integral part of the coverage.

2 Likes

Yep he will be missed. I remember talking to him in Chateroux in 2011 while he was rekying the finishing km ( on a Sedgeway). I dont think he wanted to be disturbed and I was running beside him before I realised this…:rofl::joy::rofl:

Thanks for reminding me - I had forgotten about the Manchester job - great man for it.

Tour de France 2019, stage three: Binche to Épernay – (215km)

1. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, in 4-40-29
  2. Michael Matthews (Aus) Sunweb, at 26 seconds
  3. Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek-Segafredo
  4. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) CCC
  5. Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe
  6. Matteo Trentin (Ita) Mitchelton-Scott
  7. Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
  8. Xandro Meurisse (Bel) Wanty-Groupe Gobert
  9. Wout van Aert (Bel) Jumbo-Visma
  10. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ, all at same time

General classification after stage three

1. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, in 9-32-19
  2. Wout van Aert (Bel) Jumbo-Visma, at 20 seconds
  3. Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Jumbo-Visma, at 25s
  4. George Bennett (NZl) Jumbo-Visma, at same time
  5. Michael Matthews (Aus) Sunweb, at 40s
  6. Egan Bernal (Col) Ineos, at same time
  7. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Ineos, at 45s
  8. Enric Mas (Esp) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, at 46s
  9. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) CCC, at 51s
  10. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Sunweb, at same time

<>

Looks like it’s going to take a few more stages to rid the
General Classification of Sunday’s TTT result effect :grin:

1 Like

9th July Stage 4 : Reims – Nancy (213.5km)

Another long stage. The final climb comes 15km from the line, but its followed by a 1.5km flat stretch – and a bunch sprint is very likely to be on the cards…

1 Like

Watched Stage 3 last night after getting home from work and the finish by Julian Alaphilippe was fantastic! One hell of a breakaway going up the hill and leaving everyone in his dust and completing the race with no-one in sight! Also great effort by Tim Wellens for his winning the most aggressive rider for the stage, one hell of an effort. Enjoying the Tour, the first 3 stages have been a great start to the tour!

1 Like

Agree it’s been a good start to the Tour. It’s usually a week of boredom with the odd moment caused by crosswinds or something. The early stages are more like the classics with lumps and bumps on the parcour.

1 Like

Wednesday 10th July / Stage 6: Saint-Dié-des-Vosges – Colmar (169km)

Very hilly stage today, and someone is bound to heroically try darn hard to break-away and win it but many will wisely save their legs for tomorrows very tough mountain stage.

Over today and tomorrow, a big shake-up of the top GC looks inevitable :+1:

2 Likes

Quite. It’s also good that the guy in yellow isn’t likely to be the one who wears it for the next three weeks to the finish.

1 Like

Today the Tour is passing through my village :smile::biking_man:‍♂:beers:

3 Likes

Wear something bright so we can see you on tv :rofl:

Like a yellow jersey :grinning::grinning::grinning:

A tall Swedish guy with grey hair. Light rose short sleeved shirt. But we have no Swedish flag unfortunately. My village arrives when 45 km is left to reach Colmar. Vineyards all over.
Sunny today and I am sure the pictures from the helicopter will be stunning. Our part of France is worth a visit.

1 Like

Just returned from 2 weeks in the south, missing it a lot. We’re planning our next trip which will most likely included the north/east :grin:

Strasbourg, Colmar, Basel, Freiburg and everything between and around are really nice places to visit. Nature, Culture, Food and Wine. Not too expensive neither but a rented car is needed to get the best out of the trip. Send me a message when your trip is planned or if you need some suggestion.

2 Likes

Or wear a naim audio sweatshirt :grinning:

Le tour is all about advertising! :+1:

3 Likes

If I wear a yellow jersey you might get confused with the other yellow jersey :blush::grin:

Watched stage 4 last evening when I got home from work, an ordinary day compared to the first three stages but one fine finish by the sprinters. Elia Viviani out sprinted Alexander Kristoff for the win with Caleb Ewan finishing in third, just ahead of Peter Sagan. Also interesting that the last three times the tour finished in Nancy over the history of the tour that the stage was won by an Italian rider. Looking forward to today’s stage!

1 Like