Trees … all things arboreal

Been training this Acer Palmatum Dissectum Atropurpureum for 20 years. This was it’s autumn colours.

13 Likes

Mulberry:

3 Likes

Love this big guy in my garden:

8 Likes

Thats an enormous garden for your place, litemotiv. When we lived there, we had 36m2 and nobody visited without suggesting a house extension.

Haha yes the place itself is quite small too, but the garden is nice and spacious, so that makes up for the lack of room inside just a bit :innocent:

My loved cedrus Atlantica no less than 50 yo and 20m tall circa

Its smaller brother on the opposite side of our garden

A young Cedrus Deodara we planted in 2014, it already pretty much doubled in height over these years fronted by a small taxus and two big larches behind

Also this old cherry tree, there with some fruits to harvest

And this Magnolia Grandiflora planted 5-6 years ago
I love its flowers very much but they are very elusive

This is one yesterday afternoon

The same today, they really last very little.

I also have a soft spot for Buxus Sempervirens, we have a few dozens over the garden with spherical and conical shape. The big problem is the Cydalima Perspectalis, we are costantly fighting with this, in a few days it can destroy a whole bush of buxus

7 Likes

Some more big trees that are just over in the neighbour’s garden, I’m not sure what they are unfortunately, I’ll need to find out!

3 Likes

The double rainbow over the stable conversion and the beech hedge next door.

4 Likes

Almost certainly a wild cherry. We have a couple of variations on the small green outside our house and the changes you describe are spot on.

Nicely timed thread. Tree surgeon arrives next Wednesday to bring down our silver birch by at least 1/3. Currently touches the neighbours house and were anything to happen it would plough through the 16 year olds bedroom roof.

2 Likes

My brother had four ash taken down last week; although, one of them was left standing with its crown removed as a conservation feature. It took four men and a chipper less than a day, just over a grand.

2 Likes

Just over a grand is cheap. It costed me over 2 grand to take down a massive chestnut (rip). This included a bit trimming of the other chestnut though.

1 Like

We have this Walnut tree in our car park where we live. It’s about 80-100 years old.

Over the decades the tree has not been well looked after, the pub that was on the site didn’t do anything to help it and now our new development of 10 houses have come along and put a car park around it.

Had three companies around to help with its preservation. All say root compaction and regular traffic have contributed to its decline, along with those decades of neglect.

Sadly, all 3 say it should come down, before it does of its own accord.

3 Likes

I thought it was good value too

1 Like

Not a great piece of turning, as much as anything, a challenge.
A friend had the have an ash tree felled, it had a fungal infection and was dropping limbs.
I saved a piece with the intent of returning it worked as a memento.
In places it was punky, soft and spongy so it was a question of turn a bit, drip pound shop superglue on the soft bits and splits then turn again.
It’s too thick and the lack of structure dictated the shape so it does not sit well in the hands. To my mind, it does show that even decay can be beautiful

4 Likes

Pretty good price there, unfortuantely there are plenty of rogue pikies always trying to undercut the legit businesses and generally they dont have even the basic CS30/31 certificates.

1 Like

I’m sorry. “Pikies”.

Do we think that’s an acceptable term round here then?

3 Likes

Yes, definite root compaction there! Not a good idea to block pave right up to the trunk and developer should have been picked up, not sure if its regulation to leave a 10m dia untouched around a mature tree.

It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a regulation, but the developer is such an xxxx he doesn’t worry about such things. He was supposed to enter into an agreement with the local authorities to provide a footpath as part of the development…that hasn’t materialised and the LAs can’t do a thing about it…it’s a very long dull story!!!

Here in Seattle there’s been much complaint about developers who take down protected trees, knowing that the fine, hefty as it is, is more than worth their while financially, given the state of the property market. Seems like stiffer sanctions are in order e.g replace the tree or go to jail. I’m not a fan of the prison industrial complex, but it seems like the threat would be an effective deterrent.

IIRC, there was a much-reported case in the UK where someone cut down a protected tree (TPO’ed in UK language) to enhance the view from their property and, thereby, its value.

Not only were they fined for the act of chopping the tree but also under The Proceeds of Crime Act, the fine for this commensurate with the increase in value of the property and a criminal record.

@porkyg - it is sad to see a very longstanding tree treated in this way and you really wonder why it wasn’t removed when the car park was set down, with fresh trees to be planted (on or off-plot) as part of the PP. Although, there are many trees planted on the thin grass verges of housing estates and suburbia, which are surrounded by tarmac and concrete, yet these appear to do quite well - albeit their root networks can do material damage to the ground and property, as they tend to seek out gardens and other ground which isn’t so robustly covered-over, plus drains!

3 Likes