Troika anyone?

But is a sound clothed a negative thing though?

Tracking ability in particular I didn’t test on the Javelin (only listened to it briefly), but it was the reason I switched from the Aro to the SE.

Will the Ekos SE still remain available? I was told that Jelco manufactured it for Linn… and they have now ceased trading

Best
Gregg

PS Hi Riccardo - are you running the Ekos now?

That’s a real shame.

My old OC-9 cantilever looks a bit off center these days, but still sounds good.

My old Arkiv cantilever is a bit deflected in that direction too - I’ve often wondered if these deflections are due to accidental damage/wear or if bias being off could cause stress and movement over time to the cantilever assembly? Anyone know?

Hey Gregg,

Yep, I moved to the SE a couple of years back. After a fair bit of testing (and a lot of patience from Mr. Swain) I came to the conclusion it was holding back the cartridge’s performance, especially re: tracking ability.

As for Linn tonearms, Jelco manufactures the most recent Majik tonearm and that’s about it. Linn has been making their top of the line tonearm in Scotland since the first Ekos (even that name was a pun on the French word for Scotland).

Linn would violate quite a few trade standards if they claimed a Jelco-made tonearm was made in Scotland (like they do with the Ekos SE), so that would make that claim dubious just based on that fact by itself.

1 Like

Jelco made Linn’s Majik tone arm. EKOS SE is made by SME.

I thought SME made the Keel but that the SE was made in Scotland by Linn? Perhaps it is only assembled in Scotland??

Thank you to all for the information.
I guess the Ekos will remain available in the near term. Made by either Linn or SME - or both :laughing:

This is news - pretty sure Linn claim they make the Ekos SE. I’ve only ever seen SME credited with making the Keel.

I always suspected that but I’m glad to read that it is true.

Claude

1 Like

Écossais -> Scot -> Ekos
Écosse -> Scotland -> Ekos
Config -> Konfig
etc.

That is way Linn name their stuffs, notice c -> k style.

I know that Linn has been using the letter “K” sysematically in their product names since the beginning (Sondek, Ittok, Asak…)

I wasn’t certain that “Ekos” derived from “Écosse”

Claude

We Scots have always had a thing about our French connections. Most won’t put “GB” stickers on their cars, preferring “Ecosse”. We call it the Auld Alliance, although the French seem to be entirely oblivious of it!

I’m a newbie here (but not to Naim or Linn). But I’m curious: if the rig is LP12 and Aro/Armageddon (on recapped 82 and 259, just for info) - has anyone compared a rebuilt Troika to an Akiva? I’ve got the ArkivB and want to mix things up a bit. [Also thinking abut a Te Kaitora Rua or another Dynavector]. Comments welcome.

Hi and welcome Drinkwine! The short answer is no-I have not made that exact comparison. I have however used Aro, Geddon, Troika, Arkiv-B, Akiva, Kandid, dv xx-2, dv xv-1t, and a rebuilt Karma and some other things in different permutations. Comments:

• big difference between Karma/Troika and the consecutive carts. More modern sound with higher resolution (I did not like the original Arkiv though) each new model gave good improvements but none is “romantic”

• my effort to rebuild ny 80’s Karma to get some nostalgia was a failure! I really felt that time had moved on and the more modern carts was much better

• Linn carts are best used in a full Linn system (lp12)

• the Aro is very tricky to get just right. Right now it sounds wonderful with the xv-1t.

• I like Dynavectors house sound and tend to use them outside of a my full Linn system. A balanced sound that fit many different types of music and slightly more emotional than Linn (I did choose a xx-2 over a Linn Krystal for my second system (lp12 with Ittok, geddon).

Hope this helps and carts are a very personal choice. I am still considering to let another firm rebuild my broken Troika and I would love to try a Koetsu sometime…

Btw: what wine do you drink?

1 Like

Hmmm - thanks. Had a Klyde (no love there); definitely preferred the Arkiv to a Lyra. Forget which one. I want to have the Arkiv rebuilt, but also need something else in the interim - or permanently, if I keep it as a backup.

As for wine - ha! Overwhelmingly European (French most of all but Austrian and German whites, a variety of Italians, love fine Sherry and Madeira). Occasionally: Napa Cabernet; old vine Zinfandel. Australian rarely; mostly when they’ve had 10+ years of bottle age. I’ll stop there.

1 Like

Just note-I really liked Arkiv B but not Arkiv ”A”. Have limited experience of Klyde-why not go completely different and go for a used Koetsu?

1 Like

The only direct comparo I’ve done was with the original Troika and my Akiva on friend’s Sondek with ARO. As I am listening to a rebuilt Troika now I’d say this cartridge is still leaning towards warm tonal balance with an organic slant and punchy weighty bass compared to Akiva which sounds more cerebral with laser sharp attacks. OTOH, Akiva offers perhaps a bit more details over Goldring’s Ogura fineline Stylus (this is better than the original elliptical stylus in terms of detail retrieval )

What’s going for Troika, I think, is that ARO is designed with the cartridge so it seems is tracking better and less distortions. I prefered Akiva with Phonosophie No.3 over using it on a Sondek actually. The cartridge definitely gave more life and kick to otherwise a solemn P3.

3 Likes

Ha. I rate Krystal highly over XX2. It just goes to show you the cartridge business is very subjective.

I just switched to Krystal wand from Troika. It’s been a while I used Krystal.
It reminds me Troika is from the Flat Earth persuasion for sure!
I still think that this is a very nice cartridge for speed and dynamics whilst retaining natural instrumental colours at 2k range. ( tho it would be interesting to compare it to a new Rega Apheta 3 )
krystal-sm2

4 Likes

I was listening to Bowie’s Hunky Dory last night on my Krystal. I don’t remember it being so immersive when I had my Troika.