Troubleshooting in 2022

I recently powered up my system after the holidays. I now have no sound in the left speaker when playing CD but all is good with vinyl. I’ve since powered down, re-plugged all connections and tried again. No change.
So I guess the problem is not with pre or power amps. Any ideas or has anybody had a similar issue?

Maybe my old CDS3 has hit the buffers?

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

Check the cable from CD player to preamp. Probably that.

1 Like

Dave, have you tried connecting to a different input? Also, try the RCA outputs on the CDS3 - you’ll need to enable these via the DISP press and hold function.

1 Like

I’ve checked that the CDS3 was still set to din. Then changed the CD input channel on the 552 to input 1, it was previously on #2. Same issue.

I need to dig out the old grey din-din cable to try that in place of the Hi Line. The locate a set of RCA’s.

The plot thickens today. I dug out the old grey interconnect (SNAIC?) from the attic and tried this in place of the Hi Line. Same problem, no left speaker output.
Then, just to try it, I put the output to “mono” using the front panel buttons on the NAC. Hey presto, sound from both speakers. Same too when I put the Hi Line back in.
So source 2 (vinyl) is fine. Normal CD input has no left sound out with both SNAIC and HiLine. Both speakers are fine with mono output.
I don’t have any RCA cables handy to try out.

Any ideas anybody?

Dave

I believe the “Mono” button simply sums the two channels. So you are now getting the right input channel through both speakers.

Sounds like an issue with the CDS3/XPS

Maybe the burndy?

Sounds like a CDS3 player issue. Possibly a sticky relay.

1 Like

Hopefully just a relay on the CDS3. Repairing these can be impossible if the laser mech is bad.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.