Troubleshooting SQ - Are you ever tempted to go completely back to basics?

I agree recordings could have a lot do do with it - I quite often find certain things sound great especially after swapping the odd power lead, extension lead etc (not enough wall sockets directly in reach unfortunately despite having many!), and am then quite disappointed by other items I know well and possibly haven’t played (at least on that format) for a while.

This is not exclusively true but the very fine sounding recordings tend to be much simpler with fewer instruments/complexity.

It’s more complex music, which in the past often benefitted from upgrades, that now sounds distinctively harsher, muddled and more ‘compressed’ - an album I played last night seemed to have lost all the power and drive I recall years ago on heavier tracks. On these tracks it seemed distinctly lightweight which was not my recollection at all. Less complex tracks on it sounded ok, but again didn’t quite sparkle or move me in the same way.

This is probably why you can really enjoy something on the car radio but find it distinctly ordinary on a hi-fi.

It’s quite difficult to rationalise this without feeling some component or other must be at fault.

For most people there are often compromises due to budgeting, siting practicalities or rooms themselves which are not easily overcome.

:smiley: I suppose some of my mid to late 80’s stuff would be considered incredibly retro by youngsters!

I must admit, I went to a Naim System (202/200/HCDR/PSC) to connect my LP12 to, because I’d been playing with upgrades to my system for years (finished with Roksan K3 Int/K3 Power/Cyrus Signature Phono with PSX-R2)
The only thing that remains is the Cyrus Phono & PSU.
The system isn’t built yet, as waiting on the Evoke’s that will replace my original 30 year old Keilidhs and a Fraim.
Hoping this puts me back in touch with my much loved collection and brings the best from my LP12 :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Do you have any room treatment or have you measured the sound in the room?

1 Like

No, the system has only just gone back to where it was years ago, but was harsh in the other listening area on many things too.

Both rooms have had engineered oak laid to replace carpet in recent years which may be contributing to reflections, though we plan to get a nice rug for the listening room.

I confess I’ve not looked at room treatments which currently may not be that practical or domestically acceptable.

1 Like

To be honest I could probably quite easily knock up a second budget system with old kit I have lying around unused or by reverting to passive and swapping out speakers. It’s just a phenomenal faff to try different permutations as there are so many possible ones.

1 Like

Fair enough. What about a compact bedroom system? There is some very safe ground to return to without box swapping for ages, especially early to mid-80s Linn/Naim fronted by Valhalla/Ittok. And the new AT VM95 carts match very well - can even retain a K9 body if you wish. You won’t get any inner groove distortion with the VM95ML even on an old deck.

2 Likes

Something sounds off. I think a forum deep-dive is required.

There used to be a bedroom system, I don’t think it has much chance of a return currently.

1 Like

It’s probably me :neutral_face:

1 Like

My recollection is he added a Chord DAC and an Innuos server and is very happy with the outcome.

1 Like

Thanks. He did get to a much happier place with the sound, I do remember that.

I agree Alley_Cat, it’s so easy to get sucked in, particularly when you’ve spent time and good money in the hope of improving whatever it is you think needs improving to make a poor recording sound better. As an experiment, it could be worthwhile playing these albums on different formats, if they all sound shoddy it can’t be your gear, surely? I did this with some of my albums to try and pinpoint the culprit - I chose a 1st edition record ( where possible) and compared with a much later release on CD. I was surprised that all sounded the same, ergo it was either a case the original masters were naff or my amplification/speakers were off as both sources (an LP12 and CDX2) sounded identical. As I posted earlier, it turned out to be the speakers and cable - the Dynaudios were a dynamic performer with my original, relatively low-spec’d system but couldn’t keep up once I performed all the upgrades and were holding me back. Naim themselves told me that several years ago, I chose to ignore them believing the speakers to be the very last thing I should touch.

1 Like

How long have you had the 282 and SC. Is a service due?

1 Like

We could ask Nigel….

The 282 is ex-dem, I need to check the SN but don’t think it’s more than 6-7 years old.

Supercap DR under a year old, as a stepping stone to potentially getting a 252, though I have wondered about putting it on the new SNAXO 242 which replaces a heaven knows how old unserviced NAXO I got with new SBLs (thought the NAXO was a possible culprit due to age and opted for the new SNAXO 242 as it gave some better options and potential to use different NAPs for HF.LF in the future).

HICAPs and NAP 250s serviced a couple of years ago.

So in theory the amplification should be ok. NAC A5 used currently.

1 Like

Think Nigel has left the room.

2 Likes

It might be worth doing a full replug of the all the connections, tedious as that would be….

1 Like

Yes, that’s a good point and I really should do that a bit more objectively. I agree if all sources sound equally as harsh/bad then it’s probably the recording or something downstream from the source.

I don’t want it to be the SBLs especially as they’r active but I do honestly wonder. Shame they’re so faffy to move or I’d have put my Epos ES14s back in place in the new room to try.

1 Like

That’s always a good thought - I swapped some Powerlines around the other day (it would be nice to have more) and I think on Saturday noticed the lead I’d reconnected to the HF 250 was loose, no idea how.

I’ve not inspected the speaker connections at the back of the SBLs yet.

1 Like