Trying new speaker cables

As you have such a nice turntable, the Transrota, I don’t want to disagree with you :chicken:

1 Like

Really? I thought it might be the user. :grin:

7 Likes

In my case…

Sir! Sir! He said ‘Boutique’! Sir!

6 Likes

A moment of weakness; don’t judge me for that.

3 Likes

At the risk of being controversial, I’m going to agree on the Van Damme cables - I use them all the time for microphones when recording professional audio and many colleagues use them exclusively for concert setups. The price difference between their 4mm directional cable and NAC A5 is very significant.

I recently tried Neotech, Mogami and TQ Black II. In the end, I couldn’t stand any of them, back to NAC I went.

4 Likes

I replaced my NAC A4 of 2 metres per channel with A5 of 4 metres per channel and sound became more smoother even with higher volume. But the problem is I cannot find naim banana plugs in India. So I decided to use old plugs of A4, desolder them and solder them again to A5. I need to find technician with soldering gun. In India it is difficult to find accessories and original spare parts of Naim. Even the power cable of 140 plugs with two flat pin and one round pin and doesn’t fit into the power sockets made by Indian manufacturers. In India all 3 pins on plugs are round. Can I use power cable of pc desktop which fits into Indian sockets?

Naim plugs are an ideal match so it’s a good idea to use them if possible. Still, there are other plugs that will work fine, such as Deltron nickel plated banana plugs.
You need a soldering iron with plenty of power to solder NACA5. A 100W iron is ideal.

You should use a power cable with a plug that is compatible with your local electrical sockets, and check that the socket is earthed. You can just change the plug on the lead you have.

I have just decided to order a pair of NACA5 cables. 4 meter pair. Trying some NAC has been niggling away at me for a while, so I need to bite the bullet and see what it is like.

3 Likes

Is this the way Naim now supply NACA5? No right angled plugs, and connections that look suspiciously like they are crimped instead of soldered.

AFAIK Naim only supply NACA5 to dealers and distributors in reels, unterminated obviously. It’s down to the dealer to cut to specified length and terminate according to the customer’s requirements.

p.s. if the cables pictured are from the dealer I think they are from, then they use Deltrons and are soldered.

This is the advert. They are a proper dealer.
Weird thing is, half the advert is the super lumina text.

Fair enough, I was guessing that the Naim box meant the cables were supplied fully assembled by Naim.

I hope they are with the plugs as pictured. Looks really neat.

I received my NACA5 cables today. Really well put together! If it is the dealers work they are done well.

Well I never thought they would sound so good, what a pleasant surprise!! They have immediately given my system more clarity and crispness. The bass is all there and seems to be tighter too. The deepest notes seem to have more presence too. I have never installed a cable before and been immediately this impressed. I have been sat here listening for a few hours now with not a hint of fatigue. With the extra clarity and detail that is a win in my book. I know it is a cliche saying but I feel they just get out of the way and let the system do what it wants to do.

4 Likes

They are more appreciated when they come in a nice box and all, instead of being lumped in with a Naim amp buy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha! Yes definitely. Nice packaging always improves the experience. Especially when the performance backs it up.

The performance certainly does, enjoy!

Had NACA5 years back but now run Tellurium Q II Black but would be interesting doing a AB test today again. However I remember the pain managing them being stiff as *****. I would imagine Naim selling a lot more just solving this issue.